Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, hoping for some help before buying some gerbils. This is my current cage, will it be ok if I add a seperate burrowing place or an aquarium to the bottom?

Any help or ideas or tips would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance

DSC00006.jpg

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
you will probably have to get some mesh as the bars look a little big on the cage. congrads thou on adding to your family :)

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
you might be ok then if u have a dwarf hamstser in it, there a little bigger then that i think :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, thats a big help. Do you think the cage would be ok to start with? I know the different levels are plastic and will eventually get chewed to bits, but i was planning on adding a seperate box/burrowing den to try and cut down on that.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
i think it would be fine i dont see why not, other then the chewing :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think it would be fine i dont see why not, other then the chewing :)
Thank you so much, its nice to know I won't have to buy another cage just yet. When i do get a new one, is there any cages/gerbilariums that are recomended (im not a big fan of aquariums but dont know why lol.)

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Thank you so much, its nice to know I won't have to buy another cage just yet. When i do get a new one, is there any cages/gerbilariums that are recomended (im not a big fan of aquariums but dont know why lol.)
not sure but i was thinking why not just use that cage and replace the shelves on it ? instead of upgrading cages just make that one more amusing

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not sure but i was thinking why not just use that cage and replace the shelves on it ? instead of upgrading cages just make that one more amusing
what just buy some stuff (wood/plastic) and kind of add on to it? To be honest I was a little bit more worried about the digging nature i keep reading gerbils have. The tray is only sort of 4 inches deep which doesn't leave much room. Thats why i was thinking of attaching a seperate burrowing place, whether a bin or a bought one.

I've seen gerbils in shops where they haven't had much room to dig, do you think they need it?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I've seen gerbils in shops where they haven't had much room to dig, do you think they need it?
That's because they're just there temporarily ;). Gerbils really do seem to enjoy digging and burrowing :).

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
Gerbils LOVE to dig. I had a few for years and they burrowed under the aspen like crazy. Make sure not to use pine or cedar bedding. it's not good for them. and a roll of toilet paper (plain!) is so much fun for them!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts