Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why a gerbil would eat his own back legs and tail? I thought he was being attacked when his first leg was injured and removed the gerbil that I thought was attacking him. Last night, my daughter saw him eating his other leg and now I see his tail has been bitten. He is with his brother, but I have never seen them fight. They cuddle with each other all the time. What's going on? This is horrifying. Thanks for reading.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Take him to the vet- chances are, something is making him itch VERY badly!
I dont think that he is acually eating himself. They usually itch themselves with their hind legs, but if their legs dont reach their itch, they use their teeth and sometimes they make themselves bleed if its bad enough. He could have mites, or some other nasty bug. When you take him to the vet, take his cage mate too just incase they both have mites.

·
the rodent lover<3
626 Posts
I dont think that he is acually eating himself. They usually itch themselves with their hind legs, but if their legs dont reach their itch, they use their teeth and sometimes they make themselves bleed if its bad enough. He could have mites, or some other nasty bug. When you take him to the vet, take his cage mate too just incase they both have mites.
I agree,
I have never heard of a gerbil eating their limbs or tail!
It sounds very serious and he needs a vet!!

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
I agree,
I have never heard of a gerbil eating their limbs or tail!
It sounds very serious and he needs a vet!!

I also agree. If he has eaten off his entire leg he might need to be PTS or he could succumb to infection.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I have never heard of a gerbil eat his own limbs! Vet is a must!

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
It sounds REALLY serious, they NEED to see a vet ASAP!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Yes,I agree!!
These animals need to see a knowlegable vet and now!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Omg, take him to the vet right away ! He is probably not eating his legs and tail, just pobably biting to itch. You gerbil might have very bad ticks or mites. Check out what wrong !

·
Registered
10 Posts
How do you know if a rat is pregnant before she gets big/huge.mine might be pregnant,has a big stomach like she does.i have had past litters from rescues that i got.please i need your help she is more difficult to tell if she is or not.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
How do you know if a rat is pregnant before she gets big/huge.mine might be pregnant,has a big stomach like she does.i have had past litters from rescues that i got.please i need your help she is more difficult to tell if she is or not.
You need to post in the rat/mouse section to get more help to your question.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is horrific. oo; None of the hamsters or mice I've owned have every done anything like that before to themselves.

·
Registered
52 Posts
omg!!!
that sounds really bad should take him to the vet immediately.....
are you shure its not the other male gerbil doing the damage???
mabey your daughter saw the gerbil trying to clean his poor little legs and tail he may not have been doing it himself....i suggest removing the other gerbil and theres a mite powder suitable for all types of animals called 'magic dragon' hope this helps and the vet should be able to prescribe something to reduce the itching and prevent his little leg getting infected.. hope this helps hunni

1 - 17 of 17 Posts