Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidently shut the cage door on my gerbils tail, i got his tail out, but I think I might have crushed part of his tail bone. He started squeaking, until I got his tail out. I ran my hand over his tail. Seems normal, active, though he wouldn't come neer me after. Is he OK?

·
Registered
6 Posts
After the shock he is now probably scared of you.
My first recommendation is to take him to the vet, since gerbils tails a sensible thing, they can have repercussions on their spine. So just to make sure the little guy is okay, go and take him to the vet.
If the vet is not an option (for the many life reasons that there may be) I recommend you to just be patient with him. Being small animals, gerbils are very cautious on who they interact with, after the accident you have probably scared him and he just needs time to forget about the shock and just slowly but surely, come back and try and give him treats with your hand and so on.

Unless you are taking him to the vet, I would say to let him be for a few days (just make sure he has food, water, clean bedding and a proper sand bath). Keep his home clean and his food available and just make sure he is active, but let him be. After a few days his activity level will probably normalize (maybe even just after a few hours, still make sure his behavior is not that of stress, this article talks about stressed behavior in gerbils) but you will need to regain his trust, just be patient, gerbils are really intelligent and social, they just need us to allow them their own time.

More on gerbil care.

Good luck
- Sean

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he is very active, when I come home from school, they are both chewing on the bars of the cage, trying to get out. He looks fine, he runs around a lot, and eats and diggs with his friend as normal. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts