Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get a small rabbit for my almost 8 year old. I got a guinea pig at this age and I think its good to have a pet. I saw a "dwarf rabbit" today at the pet store ($40) and I am thinking of getting him.

Is it ok to get one from the local pet store. What cage should I get type and size? what about bowls and accessories? Any suggestions are helpful.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
No offence, but rabbits arn't usually recommended for childrens pets. Most people don't relize that they require just as much care as a cat or dog does, and expensive vet care.

Rabbits are not always the cute cuddly pets that they are portrayed to be. Most of them hate being picked up. It can take a long time to earn their trust, and until you do, they probably won't enjoy spending time with you.

Of course they can be great pets for the right person, but I really really recommend that you do your research before bringing one home. And if you do decide to get one, it would be great if you could adopt from a shelter rather then buy from a pet store (like puppies, most pet store rabbits come from breeding mills). Rabbits are the 3rd most popular pet, which means that they're also the third most abandoned pet. One benifit from adopting from a shelter is that you can get a better idea about the animals personality, and they are already spayed/neughtered so you won't have to pay to get that done.

The house rabbit society is always a great place to start your research... :)

http://www.rabbit.org/

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No offense taken. Thats why I asked. I have always had animals...birds, guinea pigs, dogs, cats, lizards. Now I only have a reef fish tank. It was a toss up between a bunny and a guinea pig. I was pushing for a dog but the wife is not ready for that one.

We are going to go to the rescue tomorrow but we want to get a small bunny. I like the dwarf ones. OK I also really like the giants but not this time.

Any advice as what kinda stuff to get. Cage? Multi story or flat?

·
Banned
40 Posts
My one rabbit is an English Spotted rabbit, I found it on the side of the road as a baby bunny. It is about 3 years old now.
Rabbits are cool, and they can be trained to a litter box, so they can live inside.
I keep mine in a 4 foot long x 2 feet fatness or whatever cage, outside with hay on one half. He is in a 12yard x 12yard dog-run, so every once in a while, I will hold him, which I had to teach him to like since I found him on the road he was never attached to people and probably born to an adult in the wild. He loves being hand feed. And since his cage is small for a rabbit,, which he isn't that big, but average, but the biggest he will grow(not a dwarf) I let him out, I have a leash for him. lol:dream:, and I give him some exercise!
I recomend rabbits, they teach responsibility but you will have to help as well. Another note, you need a tool, or regular nail cutter or pliers that you will use to cut his nails every 3 months if they look to long, make sure you don't cut up to the pink though.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Do your research before bringing a bunny home. NIC storage cubes make great cages. Check previous posts here on paw-talk...there is great information. As with any pet, trips to the vet are necessary. Be prepared to spend $$$$ if you run into health issues.

·
is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
Oh, PLEASE do tons of research before getting a rabbit! Even tho rabbits can be incredibly sweet, they can do little nightmares too! LOL, I can honestly say Smudge is probably the most destructive pet Ive had. :D And rabbits can also be very expencive to care for- I spent around $300 on Smudges cage setup alone. And theres also vet care, toys, food, water, replacing stuff thats been destroyed... ect. Rabbits are not the right pet for every one, so please do research before you buy one!
And if you do end up getting one, buy from a erscue or breeder, NOT a petstore.

Good Luck! ;)

BTW, pretend my font is pink, cuz the colors arent working! :(

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Good luck at the rescue! It's usually not to hard to find lots of diffrent types of bunnies in shelters, even small ones. The dwarfs are really cute, I prefer them as well. They're the smallest breeds but have the biggest personalities. If you don't find what your looking for at the shelter you go to, maybe you could tell us what area you live in and we could help to suggest some other rabbit shelters/rescues in your areas.

For cages, I build my own with NIC's (neat idea cubes). You can buy them for pretty cheap at a Target or Wal*Mart and make the cage as big as you want. Rabbits usually enjoy multi story cages, or at least having a little shelf area that they can jump up onto - but a one store cage is fine as well. If you do a google search for "NIC cages, or NIC condos" you should be able to find some sites that show you how to make them.

Good luck finding a bunny, and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

·
Banned
40 Posts
English Spotted are nice, not to big, not to small. They also like to be held, well mine does. Are you going to keep the rabbit inside or outside.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well here she is:

http://photocache.petfinder.com/fotos/FL509/FL509.7164627-1-x.jpg

We were really debating between getting a pure bread from a breeder and doing a rescue. Well we went to the rescue today and took a look. They had lots of them. Far too many I am sad to say. Well when we were looking at there web site my wife and I really liked the look of these two. Well we really wanted only 1 bunny. But we started to discuss it and we thought we would ask the rescue people if a pair is better.

So we got there and they were showing us the bunnies. As we were walking thorugh we asked about Gracie and Stanley and mentioned the web site. We were told that it would be good if we adopted Gracie since she just lost Stanley. She really needed a new place to be. Well just the cutest and she warmed up to our 7 year old very quick. Exploring the office but she kept going back to him, ears up and happy. A match.

We knew that we would not make a decision there. So she is holding her for us till tomorrow for a final decision. We are going to adopt her. Part of the solution and not part of the problem.

So just to be sure. We took our son to the pet store where we looked as some bunnies yesterday. They had 12 then and 4 left today when we walked in. We gave the baby bunny to our son to hold. Just to check if he would change his mind on Gracie. Not a chance. He loves that bunny.

On a side note a woman bought 2 bunnies for her 7 and 5 year old. I thought to mention to her to not to forget to get them fixed. She asked why. Because they have babies. By the way these bunnies were 3-4 weeks old according to the girl.

So Grace will start her new life home with us. As soon as we get all the stuff and have a home visit that is. She is a few years old, fixed and chipped.

I will post on her progress.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Aww those bunnies are adorable! I'm not sure which one Grace is but they're both very cute. Congrats for deciding to adopt! Now Grace gets an awesome new home and the shelter has that much more space to help out another bunny in need.

I'm glad your son and Grace are already buddies. She probably really needs a new friend after loosing Stanley.

3-4 weeks sounds really young for that women to have taken then from their mother already. They usually still drink at least some milk from their mother till around 6 - 8 weeks. Hopefully she decides to get them fixed, esp. if she has a male and a female.

Make sure to post when you get her, how exciting! And take lots of pictures if you can, we love to see pictures here!

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,569 Posts
those are amazingly cute bunnies. i'd go with a rescue because you're saving a little life. for litter boxes you can get a cat one or find a smaller one made for rabbits. i'd think to stay away from the "corner" ones because they tend to be too small. once they learn where to poop they'll go back to their cage to do it (i'd hope), at least my degus did

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Yups, I use a big square high backed litter box that they sell for rabbits. But you can also use cat boxes and such. Just don't use clay cat litter in it because if they eat that it's not good for them. Things like wood stove pellets, and Yesterday's News (a paper cat litter) work well.

Put the litter box in there cage, with hay in it (I know is sounds gross but bunnies like to snack while they're doing their buisness). Eventually they should start using it, if they are fixed they're usually neater about using the box.

When you let them out, they'll most likely return to their cage to use the litter box in there. However, if they have a big play area and you notice that they're going to the bathroom in one or two spots in the room, you should put littler boxes in those spots also. I don't have that big of a room but my bunnies have one box in their cage and another outside in my room for them to use while they're out playing, if they don't feel like going back to their cage to go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got her home and all is well. She will hop up to us and not freak out when we jump into her enclosure. I was told by the rescue to use feline pine. It crumbles when it gets wet. I was also told to buy equine pine (same stuff) but in bulk. I may try the recycled paper litter next.

They gave me a video to watch. The bunny makes a special kinda poo at night that they have to eat and if they dont you have to take them to the vet.

Vet: "Why are you here today?"
Me: "My bunny did not eat its poo"

Thats just gross. But now we love the bunny. Good cat replacement.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Haha yeah, bunnies do eat their 'special poop'. I never told my boyfriend that little fact about them because it would probably gross him out :D

However, I rarely actually see my buns eat any of it. I think usually they do it at night, or at least when no ones looking. If they're having any problems with that for some reason, you'll usually notice that their butts will be dirty. Because the special eatable poo is diffrent then their normal poo, and it's very sticky. So if they're making too much, or not eating it, it very often will stick to the fur around their bums.

I use Yesterday's News in my litter box and it works great for me, so if you ever want to try something diffrent I would recommend that.

Congrats on bringing your new bunny home! :) Are you going to keep her name the same or give her a new one?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 7 year old has named her Funny Bunny Gracie. He calls her funny bunny we call her gracie but we are starting to call her FB too.

HELP Please: She has not eaten her pellet yet. We gave her a little yesterday and a 1/4 cup today. I don't think she has touched it. She has also not touched her greens. She has eaten a little hay and she looks like she is nibbling on the unprinted news paper used as the liner to the cage. She is going pee and poo.

When should I get concerned. The video said 24 hours of not eating is an emergency. But is there a acclamation period? Am I just a worry wart?

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
She could not be eating as much just because she's new, and has to adjust to her new home. Do you know what the shelter was feeding her? Are you feeding her the same brand of pellets that they were? Because if she's not use to that brand of pellets, or to having veggies, that could be why she's not eating them. Whenever I offer my rabbits something new that they've never had before, they almost never eat it right away because they don't know if it's safe to eat or not. Usually they'll eat a little of it, then after awhile once they figure out it tastes good and isn't going to hurt them, they'll start eating it more.

24 hours of not eating anything at all means that she also wouldn't be eating hay either. If she eats hay, that counts as eating. Hay is actually a really important part of their diet and they should eat more hay then anything else. And keep an eye on her bathroom habits, because if she's not eating and not pooping, then that is usually when you have a problem. If she's still going to the bathroom normally, then I wouldn't worry too much yet.

Just keep an eye on her, and make sure she eats something, even if it is just hay. Eventually as she gets more comfortable she should start to eat more of her other foods.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanx She ate some hay that I put in front of her and I changes her water dish to a water bottle like they had at the shelter. I will keep an eye on it and keep ya posted.

Being my first bunny I dont know if its acclimation or an issue.

·
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes
2,936 Posts
Michelle is right - hay definitely counts as eating and as long as she is pooing she should be just fine.
I would think it may take her a bit to get used to her environment. She looks like a tiny little thing from her picture.
Just make sure you change the greens you are offering her. I read somewhere buns should not eat wilted greens.
I also have a bunny that does not like it when the pellets sit out too long and she won't eat them. So I just offer her a little bit of pellets at a time and refill more often.
Bunnies are such amazing little creatures. They probably are not for everyone one but those that love them are head over heels - and it sounds like your family falls into that catagory!
Congratulations on the new addition and good luck with her.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My bunny won't eat as much of his food unless his bowl is clean. I can't just refill it - if I haven't cleaned his bowl in 2 days he notices. And I was given a ziplock baggie of food from the breeder we got him from so he was eating the same stuff for a time, then we slowly mixed with another brand of pellets for a smooth transition. I also give him 1/2 the recommended amount in the morning and the second 1/2 in the evening so they're fresh. They're supposed to eat lots and lots of hay I know that's important.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.