Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a frog (maybe). I went to the aquarium and fell in love. I've held a frog before and that was it. Of course I'll research.

My question is I don't have that much space, so whats the smallest habitat and what kind of frog will fit in that habitat? By smalled I'm really saying no less then a 10 gallon tank.

Thanks.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Well, what kind of frog do you want? An aquatic frog? A treefrog?

Some firebelly toads would be great...they are hardy, colorful, and active :).

Some other small, pretty easy frogs are african dwarf frogs, african clawed frogs, green treefrogs, and White's treefrogs. Pacman frogs get a little larger but are still happy in a 10-gallon...I like them a lot :).

Are you only interested in frogs or do you like toads, too? A very easy, friendly toad is the American Toad. I love those guys.

·
Herp Nerd
1,115 Posts
There are literally hundreds of kinds of frogs to choose from, many make decent captives... I think you're gonna have to narrow down your desires a bit more. :)

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I know I was kind of vague. I just wanted to see what types of frogs could be housed in a 10 gallon. I'm still thinking about it. It's just an idea that I have. I'll have to look around and see what I like. I'd rather have one that's easy to handle. I'm not ruling out toads either.

Thanks!!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I really like pacman and tomato frogs!They are cute.

I had African dwarf frogs and African clawed frogs.I really like the African clawed frogs,but they are huge gluttons and I lost one to him eating a rock and choking...:( If they can fit it into their mouth,they will.However both of these frogs are aquatic,so you can't really handle them.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I have 1 african dwarf frog,named Kaysana.I'll be getting more,my other died due to a filter accident :worry:
Aquatic frog though,so can't be handled.Cute though,so tiny :lol:

·
Herp Nerd
1,115 Posts
Pretty much all amphibians are gluttons, and will eat almost anything that happens to find its way into their mouth. It usually isn't a problem, but limiting problem things in their environment is important. Especially with frogs like Pyxie Frogs or Horned Frogs, which are known to try and stuff just about anything into their mouths - including human fingers. And they are large enough to make even simple cage decorations a possible hazard. :)

Amphibians in general should handled as little as possible. Their skin is very porous and even something as simple as the oils in your hands, or soap residue, can potentially be harmful to them. Some species are more tolerant than others, but it's still something to always keep in mind with frogs.

For a first time frog owner, I'd look into a White's Tree Frog. They are hardy, tolerant of a wide variety of conditions so are "forgiving" if you make some minor mistakes in their care. They are commonly available captive bred, since Australia doesn't allow their export (as many other species are wild caught). Overall they are relatively easy to care for. They're one of the more personable species, but I am rather partial to tree frogs anyway, and if you get a male, you may even get some loud WOMP WOMP WOMPing out of him in the evenings. At one point I had a Pyxie Frog, Grey Tree Frogs, Green Tree Frogs, Barking Tree Frogs, and a White's Tree Frog, and they would all call every night. It was deafening in here. :)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I want a whites tree frog! I seen them in one of the pet stores and they are rather cute!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
White's treefrogs are great :D. I've never kept one but when I have the space I will.

The green treefrogs are pretty hardy, too.

I'm a fan of the firebelly toads because they are so colorful and active.

Of course I'm also partial to Marine Toads, hehe ;). They are easy to care for but need a decent-sized tank and eat a lot. Very tolerant of handling, too, although I don't suggest picking them up all the time.

I like American Toads though I've never seen them in the petstores here...I caught mine outside. She'd eat from my hands and was fine with handling...one of the best amphibians I've ever had. I really loved her.

Pacman Frogs are cool but not very active. Then again, most toads aren't. Actually, frogs in general are kind of lazy :lol:.

I could ramble on and on about frogs and toads, haha.

·
Herp Nerd
1,115 Posts
Toads have a dual reason not to handle them often. Their toxic skin secretions. Marine toads are known to be especially toxic. :) Bufotoxin, as it is called, is a hallucinogen.

Feeding from your hand is alright for toads and most frogs, but definitely not something you want to do with a horned frog or pyxie frog. They have large, sharp projections in the back of their mouths which can do a serious amount of damage if they got a hold of your finger.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Ravnos said:
Toads have a dual reason not to handle them often. Their toxic skin secretions. Marine toads are known to be especially toxic. :) Bufotoxin, as it is called, is a hallucinogen.

Feeding from your hand is alright for toads and most frogs, but definitely not something you want to do with a horned frog or pyxie frog. They have large, sharp projections in the back of their mouths which can do a serious amount of damage if they got a hold of your finger.
Yeah, I know that. But toads don't really seem to secrete the poison unless they feel really threatened. I've had several toads and never had any problems :). Mine have been very tame although I don't handle them much more then I have to.

And yeah, I would never hand-feed a horned frog, haha.

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info. Like I said it was just an idea I have and it probably won't happen for a year or two. I have too many mice right now to take care of.

·
Registered
225 Posts
White tree frogs are adorable such cuties, and I thought I heard you can house them in something as big a 10 gallon tank..I might be totally worng but I think that is what I read on one of my herp boards I am on.
For my first frogs I am getitng some Dwarf Clawed Frogs maybe a long with a few small fishies don't know I am still looking into that..but at some point in the future I really would like a white tree frog they just have the most adorable lil faces.:D

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
:frog::frog::frog::frog: I just added a new terrarium to my house a couple of days ago and brought home 4 new fire-bellied toads. They are so awesome. I got them this cute little pond to sit in and they all sit together in it like they are in a hot-tub having a party or something! They are quite the characters. I just love them. The pet store told me that you can have up to 6 of them in a 10 gallon tank. I chose 4 frogs for my new 10 gallon tank. Then, in my other 20 gallon terrarium, I have 10 green tree frogs that are absolutely adorable too! They "ribbit" at night and I just love them. I can't wait until these new frogs start making sounds. I have the new frogs here in the office with me. They crack me up! They are all in their little pond, all faced towards me, watching me type! I don't pick any of them up unless they are going to a bigger home. My little froggies are just for me and my families (mostly mine - hee hee) viewing pleasure. I would be afraid to hurt them. They are kind of little guys. They look like they are smiling at me right now! I think they like their new home.

·
Registered
225 Posts
:frog::frog::frog::frog: I just added a new terrarium to my house a couple of days ago and brought home 4 new fire-bellied toads. They are so awesome. I got them this cute little pond to sit in and they all sit together in it like they are in a hot-tub having a party or something! They are quite the characters. I just love them. The pet store told me that you can have up to 6 of them in a 10 gallon tank. I chose 4. Then, in my other 20 gallon terrarium, I have 10 green tree frogs that are absolutely adorable! They "ribbit" at night and I just love them. I can't wait until these new frogs start making sounds. I have them in the office here with me. They crack me up! They are all in their little pond, all faced towards me watching me type! I don't pick any of them up unless they are going to a bigger home. My little froggies are just for my and my families (mostly mine - hee hee) viewing pleasure. I would be afraid to hurt them. They are kind of little guys. They look like they are smiling at me right now! I think they like their new home.
I think owning toads would be fun to...maybe after I get through using one of my 10g tanks at home I will look at getting some toads too..do you have pictures of yours? I would love to see what they look like

1 - 18 of 18 Posts