Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
What was wrong with the fish? If it was something like ammonia poisoning then washing like crazy isn't necessary. But if it was some sort of parasite then you definitely want to. Use hot water and let everything air dry...you could also use diluted bleach depending on what the illness was. Don't use soap.

Three or four frogs would probably be better, especially at first. If you keep the algae eater in there then stick with two or three max. Which brings me to my next question...

What kind of fish is this "algae eater" of yours? I hope for your sake he isn't a Chinese algae eater. Petstores convince people to buy those all the time but they get big and aggressive. Even if your fish is a more placid pleco then you can't keep it in a 5-gallon. Plecos get HUGE and messy. I would personally give the fish to someone with a larger tank or bring it to a petstore. The only algae eater suitable for a 5-gallon would be an oto catfish but they do best in small groups and need a really stable environment.

When you clean out the tank save some of the old water unless it was a serious illness. You don't want to lose all of your beneficial bacteria. Make sure to test the water before getting any frogs to see if it's still cycled. Ammonia and nitrites should both be at 0. The frogs won't do very well in an un-cycled tank.

The sand is fine, in fact, that's better then gravel since they can't choke on it. The plants probably won't injure the frogs so they're ok...though I would personally get some silk ones. The frogs will thank you for it ;). Ok, so maybe they won't...but they would if they could! :p

The filter is necessary for cycling the tank if you don't have live plants or anything. They'll be ok if the current isn't too strong. If you don't want to use it then keep in mind you'll be doing 100% water changes every week or two (depending on how many frogs/fish are in the aquarium).

The light bulb isn't protected at all? That's dangerous... Your picture didn't show up but is this an Eclipse? I have a couple and most come with a plastic cover between the hood and tank. If your's didn't you can probably get one off the Marineland website. A screen top is fine also.

By the way, I see shells in your tank. I would remove those since they can raise the pH...the frogs won't like that.

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
i am not plaaning on using my light, but if they were to jump on top of the light, they might get stuck or something, so i'll cover it if it will cause danger. i know how to tell clawed from dwarf so i'll be sure to do that, i'll probably end up getting 3, i wouldn't want to cram 5 now that i think about having decorations and stuff, there won't be as much room.

thanks for the help you guys!
Yeah, I would cover it, personally :). Better safe then sorry. I used a Critter Keeper type of aquarium with mine so there wasn't a light.

What are you planning to feed them? Make sure to get that figured out beforehand as well ;). I fed frozen krill, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, bloodworms, and occasionally a couple HBH pellets. While you can feed commercial pellets/flakes don't make that the only thing you feed. Some frogs will refuse those kinds of foods anyways.

Good luck with your frogs!! :D Definitely post some pictures of your frogs and tank when you get them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.