Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently, I have a four month old female rat and I have been thinking about getting another female rat. In the past, the only pair of rats I owned were sisters that had lived together since birth.

I am not sure if it is wise to bring home a "stranger" rat to my little friend. At this point I have too many questions. (wouldn't they fight? is the cage I have going to be big enough? etc.) Anyone have any advice about if this is wise and if so what be the best way to introduce the new-comer?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Getting your girl a female roommate is a very wise thing to do and also essential for your lone female. Rats need the companionship of other rats and they can get severely depressed and lethargic without company. There are many people on this forum who I know will be able to give you excellent advice about introducing a new friend to your girl rat. :)
(I wish I could give you advice but I have never introduced rats before!)

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
They should be fine togethier provided you do proper intros dont just put them in the cage togethier right away :) introduce them to eachother on natural grounds like a bath tub on your bed ect. This could take awhile before they get along so make sure you have a spare cage for the new girl mean while :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vladina & Nibbler thanks for your advice. I think I will start looking to get my new rat as early as this weekend. :)
Any idea what the age of the new female should be?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I believe it is best to get a new friend for your girl that is either the same age or even slightly younger. Hopefully one of the rat veterans on this forum will see this and correct me if I am wrong?

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
I have a 16 month old male who I was told could NEVER live with another rat after a neuter and proper introductions they are happily living together

Your rat needs a friend and trust me it will make them SO much happier

1 - 6 of 6 Posts