Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
14K views 105 replies 11 participants last post by  calico 
#1 · (Edited)
Heh, the thread title reminds me of an add on for a fortune cookie. "You will experience much happiness...naked".

Anyway, GGMR. It's struck.

I've been coveting hairless rats since the day I picked up my black boys and the ever pink and ever charming naked Cowboy demanded that I get over myself and quit harboring a squick against all things pink.

Nakeds are few and far between in my area, unless I go through pet stores and fly by night operations, but the only rattery within 500 miles that breeds them advertised an upcoming litter on our mutual local rat fan club soliciting among us for her wait list. I succumbed to impulse and signed up on her list. The litter is now one week old, and if all goes well, I'll have two new naked boys come December.

The breeder uses rock and roll in her naming theme, so I asked if I could choose 'dead rock stars' for my names...thus in keeping with my ghost boy mischief.

Keep your fingers crossed that I will be able to introduce to you soon Melon and Skinner, after Blind Melon and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

See less See more
#4 ·
How exciting for you! I am a classic rock fan so I love the names Skinner and Melon, cool! Can't wait to get an update. :)

#5 · (Edited)
Here's a couple of pics of the soon to be newest members of the Alabama Ghost Boys. The pics were taken by Iron Will Rattery, who works closely with the boys' birth rattery Legends of Rock Rattery.

They're two weeks old here.

Here's Skinner:

Here's Melon:

#8 ·
Yeah. They grow their baby fuzz, but when it falls out, they never get adult fur, except for bristly face fur, which will render them all kinds of uglycute.

#13 ·
Awww, such precious babies! They are beautiful!!! :)

#14 · (Edited)
Update of sorts. GGMR is an amazing thing. I was visiting my Ghost Boys' breeder site as I often do, and saw a tempting thing.

She'd bred a beautiful black eyed Siamese/Burmese litter a few weeks back. The resulting litter also ended up being entirely satin as well. She'd said the litter was for breeder placement only, so I never considered them but loved, loved loved their little smudgy shininess. Well yesterday when I went to look at the litter, she had a posting that one black eyed Siamese boy was adoptable. Legasp! So I thought, I'm already getting two baby boys, what's one more? I've got plenty of space. And he's all alone, so this way he'd have a group of boys all his own.

I emailed the breeder. She replied that not only could I have him, but would I consider adopting a younger baby from another litter of hers as well. The littlest baby is a black boy who is a half brother to Tucker and Windham.

So...um....now I'm bringing home FOUR new boys. All because I wanted one naked baby.

#16 ·
Yay! Fantastic news! I love hearing about lone ratties getting to join the family and have brothers/sisters. That is great!! Made my day. Looking forward to lots of pictures of your new family!:)

#17 ·
I was tickled too. I found out that Tucker and Jeffrey's mother died a few days before Windham from complications w/ a C-section, so having a brother from daddy come home somehow helps to get closure from those two losses.

I'm playing around with names for these two new boys.

Little Siamese boy's litter has a "Z" naming theme.

I don't know about little black boy, but all the past black kids in the same line have had horror/ghost/macabre naming themes.

I also want to keep some sort of 'link' to Alabama Ghost Boys in the naming theme.

So, with that in mind, what do you think of the following ideas for the boys.

Siamese "Z" name:

Zmei: After a Russian folklore bogey Zmei Gorinich. Zmei Gorinich was the henchman of the Russian witch Baba Yaga, he was sometimes portrayed as an ogre, sometimes as a dragon. His name translates to Serpent of the Mountain. Added bonus of being pronounced as "Smee" which is a good name for my smeezy boy.
Zeitgueist: literally 'spirit of the times', ghosty-spirit?- related
Zeth (Sometimes "Seth"; brother of Osiris, god of the dead)

For little brother...hmm. He'll be ready to take home around Christmas time. What's macabre about Christmas? Ooh. How about "Black Pete"? Black Peter, or Zwarte Piet is the servant of St. Nicholas in the Netherlands. One early story of Zwarte Piet portrays him as a devil who was defeated by Sinterklaas and bound to serve him while he executed his holiday duties.

Or for something completely different, my kids are huge Avatar the Last Airbender fans. We were thinking of Zuko and Jett.

#19 ·
That is so wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am really excited for you, and of course I am on pins and needles with anticipation to see photos of your little ones!!! And how great that you'll get the half brother as well!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

#21 ·
Awwww, those baby pictures were just as adorable as it gets! I wanted to pick all of them up and keep them! What little sweeties!!

I am also glad you get to have closure with brother being there with you, that is such a nice ending. :)

As for names, that is a doozy. ALL of the names sound great! I particularly love Zeth, Zeitguiest and Zuko, but I am partial to Z names. Any of them would be great!

#22 ·
Oh, also a P.S. to Dustette...good luck with Louna and send her my well wishes! She can beat that silly tumor, no problem. She is a strong and tough girl. Go Louna! We are thinking of you, honey. :thumbsup:

#26 ·
I'm picking up my Z and Black boy this coming Sunday.

I coudn't settle on a name and finally asked the breeder to pick. They are officially Zmei and Black Pete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.