Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching about them for some time but keep getting different information in different places. Some places say they need to be kept at a higher than room temperature and others say it's not necessary. Would keeping them at room temperature harm them in any way? Also what is the best substrate for them? I would like to hear from people how have them just to know which ones are best to clean and keep damp and all that. Thankyou for your help!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Id say that they do but not much :/
mist them lightly and when we had them we used soil and had them with stick insects they were a real happy family but they like to reproduce... alot.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really want an albino east african land snail and a giant tiger land snail but I decided to wait until I had the time and space. I've had edible snails before and they bred like crazy. My gran ended up eating most of the babies when they grew.. yum! xD

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have nothing to contribute but that you're soooo lucky to be able to keep them in your area. Where I live African land snails are illegal, but I want one so much. Good luck.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! ^^

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
I have nothing to contribute but that you're soooo lucky to be able to keep them in your area. Where I live African land snails are illegal, but I want one so much. Good luck.
Ditto to that. It seems that the the animal restrictions over there are really limited as compared to here.

I've always wanted a giant snail

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
Giant African Land Snails are illegal in the US.

USDA and USFWS are very serious about this particular animal. It would not be a good idea to get caught with them in the continental US. If you have one, or know of any, there is a good chance that they have been illegally smuggled in to the country. Add this to other local/state/federal laws and you have the potential for a Lacey Act violation.

Would you really want to risk a felony conviction (and the effect that could have on you and your career for the rest of your life)? ...for a snail!

Aside from the legal implications, smuggled snails have the potential to carry a parasite that can cause a fatal form of menengitis.

Here is some more info on them:

Giant African Land Snails

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts