Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Im interested in one, Not a Giant Millipede, but a Centipede, they're so interesting, I was wondering if anyone had any info on breeders in Canada, British Columbia Preferably. Theyre so neat, but all look no touch, because of poison. They are amazing hunters, look at them on youtube.

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
They are not the easiest animals to keep. They can be pretty picky about their environment and are great escape artists. Unless you've got a good deal of experience keeping inverts, I'd start off with some spiders or millipedes to learn with. JMO

Bob

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I agree with Bob.He knows his stuff.
I am also hoping to own one in the future and know of a supplier in BC that ships all over Canada.

·
Herp Nerd
1,115 Posts
Big red-headed centipedes are found in the wild around here, not fun things to run into when you're out flipping rocks. :)

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
A good friend of mine got stung by one of the Arizona species, Scolopendra heros, he had also been bitten by a copperhead some years earlier (I won't comment on his skill/luck). He told me that, from a 'pain' point of view, the sting from the centipede was far, far worse than the copperhead bite.

I kept one for a while, it was fast as lightning, unfailingly aggressive and ready to sting at any time. I'd certainly NOT want to find one at an awkward moment while "flipping rocks" looking for snakes!

Bob

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have experience with Scorps and Tarantula's but this seems so much more interesting, I think itd be amazing

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey, i own 3 giant centipedes.
A scolopendra subspinipes de haani
A blue tiger legged centi
and a baby scolopendra sp.

And as what has already been said, they are not a beginner invert! highly aggressive, our biggest girl is 22cm and has to be kept in a 32cm deep tank, as they can jump and also can chew through petpal tank lids and mesh, also if they can reach the top of a tank, the moment you take the lid off they will be gone!
If a large centipede such as my big girl bites you it will without a doubt put you in hospital, not nice! even a young one might put you in casualty

So my opinion, unless you are totally certain that you are ready to own such a creature, then start off with a tarantula or scorpion :)

Please don't buy one just because they look 'cool'

1 - 9 of 9 Posts