Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone remembers the post I made regarding Gizmo. If not heres the link so you can understand whats going on.
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f9/advice-58045.html

Gizmo is actually doing better. We've only had a few issues while outside recently. One time being when it was dark outside and the next thing we knew he had broken his leash. We were just sitting outside talking that night with the dogs when this happened. There were people outside but he wasn't running towards them he ran in the opposite direction. Once he noticed them though he did chase them. Thankfully didn't bite anyone and they weren't scared of him. They just turned it into a game for him which resulted in my mom, grandpa and I all yelling at them to stop as they weren't helping. No clue what made him do that because again it was dark and we couldn't really see. The second major issue besides that one would be him now making cars, trucks, motorcycles, and bikes his main chasing targets which is not safe. While it may not seem like hes doing better, apart from those major incidents he hasn't been reacting at all to things or when he does its less often.
Hes snapping inside the house has become less frequent now as well, the only person he still snaps on is my dad who has still not learned to leave him to alone.
A trainer has finally been found(its taken us a while to find the right trainer) and she will be coming out this weekend to take a look at him and help us work with him.

Heres some pictures of him so you can see how hes been doing

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. He really is a sweet dog just has some issues he needs to get over. I will let everyone know how it goes when the trainer comes this weekend. Compared to before he really has made a lot of improvement.

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wanted to let everyone know that the trainer has been postponed. Gizmo started throwing up last night. A total of 7 times in 6 hours so we had to take him to an emergency clinic at around 1am and got back a little after 4am. He was given some fluids under his skin along with 2 injections. Then she prescribed pepsico for him 1/4th of a tablet, and that after 9am he can have a small amount of water and some boiled white rice with boiled shredded chicken or boiled ground beef. If he doesn't throw that up then he won't have to go back for x rays and blood work. So far he hasn't thrown it up so were hoping he doesn't. Were giving him another hour and if he throws up within the hour its back to the vet. If he can hold this down he will be on this diet for 2-3 days along with the pepsico. After that he will get checked out by the vet to make sure that hes ok and then the trainer will come out and look at him.

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The good news is that he hasn't thrown up since going to the vet. She told us that it was most likely gastric without doing any blood work or x rays and if it was that the blan diet and medicine should work for him. She said if he couldn't keep that down than that would mean he had a foreign body inside him which would require x rays, blood work and tests being done to find out what it is. The most likely reason for it she said as it turns out it was gastric was that he got into something he shouldn't have or something didn't agree with him. What though is the real question and we can't think of anything.

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Silly Coco but at least it will pass ok. Thats good to hear.
Its possible but we can't really think of anything. The only thing my grandpa could think of was that while cutting the grass he had seen a dead rabbit out back but it looked like a person had cut it up. The dogs tend to stay away from dead animals and wouldn't catch one either. Chase yes but not kill. So thats possible as well.

· Registered
801 Posts
Good to hear things are getting to the plan so far, hope to hear wonderful improvements on Gizmo, don't forget to share more photos..

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you he really is a sweetheart. I love him to pieces. Yes he has a blast in the field. The swamp is actually a field thats between 2 lakes about 3-4 blocks away from our house, and it turns into a swamp every time it rains like crazy. He loves it. So its a field/swamp you could say. I sometimes wonder if he likes it more when its a swamp than a field as that means he can run through water. I have quite a few more photos of him from there that day it turned into a swamp as well. We went back today and I got some more photos. I can post the others if you would like to see them. Thats what he does every time he hears the word treat, sometimes he even does it for no reason and spins around on his back legs. I'll have to get it on video one day.

As for the trainer she will be stopping by hopefully tomorrow or Sunday, if not then after the holiday weekend as its 4th of July weekend here.

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
I'd love to see more pics! I loooove little terriers :D I know what you mean about the swamp/field. There was an undrained field a couple years ago when we had our other dog Nikki (spaniel cross), Nikki would just run through the water with her head down and mouth open and catch the splash from her running!! It was so cute! Yes, more Gizzy plz :p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.