Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what you people thought of these devices, and whether their use is morally sound. Some people will roll their eyes and exclaim "they're only mice" but I don't buy that excuse as a reason to disregard cruel acts, let alone commit them.

Here is my take on these traps, based on my own experience working at the local vet clinic as a volunteer a few years ago, seeing these traps in use and doing a bit of research (scientific and anecdotal, can provide links to either). Before I begin, let me make myself clear:

I eat meat.

I have no qualms with killing animals when necessary, just as long as it isn't torturous.

I believe that human lives matter more than animals' lives.

Animal testing for life saving medical advances is OK by me, providing any pain or distress is minimised where possible.

I keep pets.

I go to KFC from time to time.

I don't like PETA, in fact they give animal welfare a bad name thanks to their extremist and stupid views on a lot of issues.

BUT, that said... I do agree with them on one issue. Glue traps are repulsive instruments of torture... they should be illegal. There will always be conflict between species, but this sort of gratuitous torment of other animals is unforgivable. There are so many more humane alternatives that don't involve the animal maiming itself because it tries to get off industrial superglue. A rundown of what can happen on these traps:

- The animal will attempt to pry itself off.

- In doing so, the adhesive is so strong that it will literally skin itself alive and break bones during its struggle.

- Dislodged eyeballs and half to fully chewed off limbs are not uncommon.

- Animals will excrete and urinate profusely out of fear, not only making things worse, but increasing the chance for disease transmission.

- They will squeal in fear and pain, unless too exhausted from its struggling.

- If this all isn't bad enough, the animal will starve/dehydrate to death, one of the most painful and prolonged ways one can die.

Sorry for the gory details, but it is true. I do think that the majority of people who use them are either unaware about this, or don't care because the means don't matter when the ends are achieved. It is not just rodents either - the traps are for birds and lizards too. Very indiscriminate too because all kinds of things can be stuck pretty easily on them.

I'm surprised they still exist in stores. The extent of their cruelty is well known... and it's not just any sort of cruelty, it's something that what Hitler would receive non-stop in the pits of ****. They are unnecessarily cruel, and are immoral... and in my view, are much worse than steel-jawed leg traps which essentially do the same thing because the entire body of the animal is affected. I hate glue traps with every fibre of my being... the poor things literally rip themselves to pieces. Why on earth would one use these things over snap traps, which are at least designed to kill the target animal quickly? :mad2:

Please, don't use glue traps. There are always better ways to go about killing animals. Less painful ways, where the creature doesn't have to suffer unduly - I believe that shouldn't be ignored. However, a few people might disagree... so I'm really interested to see how someone can justify that.

PS. Whoever throws them out into the bin still alive on the trap (yes, the instructions even tell people to do so)... you are disgusting, evil cretins that deserve a nice slice of bad KARMA.

·
Fashion Animal Freak :)
1,307 Posts
This is a good thread but it will cause some debates in my mind,
Yes glue traps are cruel and disgusting but what caught my attention with this post is
"Animal testing for life saving medical advances is OK by me, providing any pain or distress is minimised where possible."
How is that any different?
Its cruel, horrid and no way for any animal to live.
I see animals in a way that i see humans aswell the same person made us all, even creatures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Animal testing for life saving medical advances is OK by me, providing any pain or distress is minimised where possible."
How is that any different?
Its cruel, horrid and no way for any animal to live.
Well, just let me say this: if researchers were found gluing animals to cardboard and making them starve to death, they'd have all research funds cut, find themselves out of a job and prosecution for animal cruelty charges.

I'm guessing you've never worked in a lab before involving animals. To even use them in experiments in the first place takes a lot of loops and hurdles, that is what ethics committees are for. Secondly, it is required by law to treat them humanely; and to also provide adequate housing and food. Heck, some of the lab techs even play with them. It's not like they callously disregard the fact that it is a living creature.

But lets not go off topic here - this thread is about glue traps, not animal experimentation. If you want to discuss that, or the evils of eating meat... please... make another thread.

·
Paw Talk's prodicle son .
2,405 Posts
= ^ x ^ =

wrong

Wrong

WRONG ! !

My Dad was gonna use one and it made me so angry I got rid of it. He's a mouse killer . I either let them be or rescue the odd.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
I have a feeling that we will see some debates here...

I think that any kind of trap that kills an animals is wrong, especially if they have to suffer like that. There are so many more humane options, like live traps. Just because we find an animal annoying doesnt give us the right to kill it...
Hinetly, I dont think that anyone here is going to support glue traps, but I may be wrong.

·
can't think of one, help
1,115 Posts
Those things are horrible, they should be removed from the market. Don't even consider using them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If traps are needed, use live traps, read instructions correctly, and be sure to check them very regularly....if left too long, a mouse in a live trap can still die...Glue traps...hideous, they should be banned, glue is only good for sticking objects together, not for causing slow painful death.

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
I saw a show once with a mouse exterminator who used them, talked about how humane it was and that it was great because he still let the mice go. He saved any animals he could. I know this is a bit off topic, but is it more humane to let the mice go after being in glue traps? To clear this up, I will not/have not used them. I am simply curious :)

Now, Gavin, you say it is required by law to treat animals humanely, but what is considered humane? If they needed to test on an animal for some new medicine and what if it went wrong and the animals were suffering. Do they really have control over what happens to the animals during testing :|

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw a show once with a mouse exterminator who used them, talked about how humane it was and that it was great because he still let the mice go.
Oh yes. How very humane to have a small mammal glued onto cardboard, where it constantly struggles to the point of injuring itself horribly. Glue traps are anything but humane.

I know this is a bit off topic, but is it more humane to let the mice go after being in glue traps? To clear this up, I will not/have not used them. I am simply curious :)
For the most part, no. Because by the time you get to them, they will already be severely injured.

Now, Gavin, you say it is required by law to treat animals humanely, but what is considered humane?
To minimise suffering where possible.

If they needed to test on an animal for some new medicine and what if it went wrong and the animals were suffering. Do they really have control over what happens to the animals during testing :|
Then they'd euthanise the animal.

Yes, they do. All tests are heavily scrutinised and in addition, are supervised by a qualified vet. There's a lot of paperwork when it comes to even using a single mouse. A process must be followed to ensure not only the success of the test, but the welfare of the animal.

·
Fashion Animal Freak :)
1,307 Posts
What so its right to test on these animals, there held in these places with thousands of other bred animals their whole lifetime until eventually their killed off, or as u say put to sleep. nah, thats inhumane, just cause there is a vet there that makes it ok?
Would you feel the same if they were testing on children and there was a doctor there EVERYTIME they done it?

"Then they'd euthanise the animal."
Wow, so they are killed just because silly humanes tortured it with something? Murder in my mind.
Sorry this is wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What so its right to test on these animals, there held in these places with thousands of other bred animals their whole lifetime until eventually their killed off, or as u say put to sleep. nah, thats inhumane, just cause there is a vet there that makes it ok?
Would you feel the same if they were testing on children and there was a doctor there EVERYTIME they done it?

"Then they'd euthanise the animal."
Wow, so they are killed just because silly humanes tortured it with something? Murder in my mind.
Sorry this is wrong.
Better a vet take a look than nothing at all. At least there are laws safeguarding their welfare in labs. They aren't "tortured", and last time I checked... this is a thread about glue traps so stop trying to derail my thread please.

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
Umm you brought up the fact about animal cruelty, so don't be mad when people start a debate about it.

And also if they have something to test that has never been tested, they do not have control over what is going to happen. If something goes wrong, then it simply doesn't matter, because its just a mouse and there are millions of others and it can be humanely euthanized. Well yes it does matter. I don't believe in it.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
OK if you are against animal testing start giving ways that humans can test new medication and things not on animals?

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
CrWoodypets I believe the show you are talking about is 'Exterminators" on the Discovery Channel. I've seen that show and some of the practices are horrendous esp. using glue traps and the either coming in and throwing the live mouse/rat out (also death on that have starved, or injured themselves to death) or instruction the clients to throw them out.

Glue traps as most of the people here believe should be banded, because as Craig said glue is for sticking inanimate objects such as paper and sparkles together not for causing pain and suffering to helpless animals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Umm you brought up the fact about animal cruelty, so don't be mad when people start a debate about it.
The topic is on glue traps. Not animal experimentation. Not the putting down of stray dogs in pounds. Not the conditions in factory farms and slaughterhouses. If people are going to use strawman arguments to make the thread go off-tanget, then I won't bother debating those points.

What's next? Are we going to debate the wrongs of capital punishment too? After all, humans are animals too. Can't wait for the abortion argument to come through just because someone feels the subject matter too insignificant so they have to change the topic.

·
can't think of one, help
1,115 Posts
Okay time to close this thread. We have all told you what we think of glue traps. Not surprisingly we think they are inhumane and should be banned from use. I repeat they are horrible, horrible things.

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
:) I'm sorry for what I have said, but if you put a thread about debates and state something, be ready for people to disagree. :)

Canadiancritter- Yes! That's the show! I think it is good that he let's the mice go, but he should definitely use live traps, NOT glue traps.

Kendalle- I admit it, I don't know what they should do with testing. But what have animals done to deserve that? They are no major differences between us and animals and I personally don't understand why animals can be tested but not people. It's good to disagree :) We all have opinions.

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
Well one way to avoid testing on animals is to use convicted criminals (sex offenders etc...) that way you would also get pretty accurate results of how the HUMAN body will react.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.