Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday is going to be a very nerve-wracking day even for me, since I have many rats being dropped off at the vets. Cecil and his tricky tumour removal, and the 3 babies with terrible eye issues that we should hopefully get an answer to their issues and what is going to be next for them.

Yara

Waldo

Melvin

and sweet old, compromised Cecil...

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
awww poor babies good luck

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Sending good thoughts their way, Lilspaz. The best of luck to your babies. I hope all goes well! Keep us posted okay?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Good luck and positive vibes coming your way!!

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rats have been examined and/or treated.

Waldo - I thought only one eye was affected but it is both.
He had a LOT of debris removed from under his 3rd eyelids and both eyes have ulcers, but he might regain his sight.

Melvin - both eyes affected. Lots of debris, ulcers and right eye ruptured, will be sent home with eye meds and next week it will have to be removed.

Yara - left eye, lots of debris, eyeball *may* be ruptured, cannot tell just yet.

Cecil - maybe 50% chance of surviving surgery, they wanted me to be sure before they went ahead, and I gave it to them the go-ahead. I am totally pacing in my head now. :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cecil

I am so glad Cecil made it out of the surgery!!! My girl Mink wasn't that lucky, I have been watching your posts and good thoughts and lots of prayers are sent to Cecil! And the other guys too!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Thank the ratty gods, he made it! I am so happy to hear it. I will keep sending good thoughts that he can completely recover, that is great! He must feel SO good having that huge tumor off of his body. He probably feels as light as a feather, eh? Way to go Cecil!:D

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We are all home, and very glad to be here :D

Just a pic each of the babies who had their eyes flushed, and guck removed. Yara and Waldo go back for a re-check, and Melvin goes in for the enucleation next Thursday. I also added in Norbert to have his guck removed as well

Yara

Waldo

and Melvin's good eye

Cecil is looking very good for what he went through :D

I just took a few pics so he could rest...the incision etc, doens't change a lot in the first couple of days, so I'll wait til tomorrow for more extensive pics

Still lifting up his body for the hanging tumour LOL

Glad to be home. :D

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Aww, your kids all look so happy to be home! And Cecil looks wonderful! I wonder how long it will take him to get used to not having to lift his body for the tumor that is no longer there. What a precious. He must feel SO good with that gone!! Kisses to all your babies!!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Aww, I'm so glad to see Cecil doing okay after surgery! How old is he, do you think? I have been debating having Stanley's tumor removed, but at more than 29 months and starting to show his age, I think it is best to just let it grow until it affects his eating/breathing. Thoughts?

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aww, I'm so glad to see Cecil doing okay after surgery! How old is he, do you think? I have been debating having Stanley's tumor removed, but at more than 29 months and starting to show his age, I think it is best to just let it grow until it affects his eating/breathing. Thoughts?
Cecil is almost 24 months now.

For an old rat they have to have a lot of things going for them for me to surgery. Cecil had a easy removal for his tumour, and a real will to live and not a lot else. I had a tumour removed from a girl who was 29 months old, but she was healthy, and not aging much at all...it all depends on each rat :)

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is how thin Cecil is without his "friend"...now we need to will some meat on those little bones

He's also shy about his incision, even though I reassure him he's a handsome handsome boy. :D

Cecil and his brothers, Malcolm and Finley got a surprise package tonight. :)

Auntie Jo and Nic, sent them a bunch of deckers since I was running dangerously low for my more disabled loves.

checking out the warm Cozy Corner pile...

then I tossed one down and he crawled right in and hasn't left yet. :p

Ahhhh...mine.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Ahhhh....thank you so much for posting update pictures of Cecil! I was hoping to see how he was doing! He is just a gorgeous love and I am happy that you are reassuring him about how handsome and beautiful he is! So...can I come and take him home with me? ;)

I bet the answer is no! Don't blame you. He looks so content and happy in his fluffy fleece. What a brave boy to go through the surgery. He has had a tough time so he deserves rest and pampering eh? Looks like he is getting it! Yay! Give him all of my love. I want to kiss him so bad! :dream:

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
This morning I was a bit late on Cecil's metacam (Shelagh...remember Nakie eyes are last, Cecil's metacam is first), and he started picking, so there's a bit of blood. He's not really picking at it hard and the metacam should take care of it soon, but I'll make sure he's stopped by the time I go to work.

thinking about hopping up on the low hammock I use to prevent falls from the shelf above.

I watched him lightly hop up to the double decker...I was wondering how long before he managed that! Usually he's joined by 2 beige brothes cuddling up to him, while Oscar patrols the cage for intruders who might hurt his family. LOL

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
What a precious....so nice to see him doing things like getting up into a hammock without his big tumour. What a beautiful boy! I am so happy for him. I am glad he has his brothers to help take care of him. :)

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2 updates

Yara's eye looks a lot better to me, probably not useable, but not as painful or scary as before. More like Eli's eye when it was shrinking up on its own.

She's a very sweet girl, likes people, easy to handle,and licky on top of it all :D

And to show you how truly tiny she is...

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Loki is still making a lot of noises so he was put on the zithromax "treat" like Cecil is, and hoping it does as much good as it did him. :) Tommy is a nice nice boy, still a little shy with me, but he's relaxed a LOT.

Oscar is getting worse. He is hormonal, and territorial, rubbing on everything. He will leave the morning Ensure to patrol the cage and huff at the rats below, and last night tried his ****dest to bite me. He is too old for a neuter, so I am just going to be careful and wait for time to cool his jets LOL. I think he's still the most tense of all of the boys, not letting go of his Protector duties just yet, which is understandable. When he's nice and calm I love to pat and cuddle him.

I am a bit worried over Cecil. He's lost weight, quite a bit of it since the night of the surgery. He was 280 g, and now weighs in at 253 grams. :sad3: I have learned NEVER to take him away from his brothers, he wilts like a flower and stresses easily.

He loves Ensure and he loves baby cereal, so I shall just keep offering that and try tempting him with other foods in between. He had some egg yesterday and a bit of short bread cookie was snatched and eaten. :giggle:

I think he's happy to groom bits he hasn't seen in awhile

1 - 20 of 44 Posts