Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, have some keyboard problems here so please bare with me. Two keys on my keyboard do not work at all because one of the kids dumped Kool-Aid in my keyboard.

As most everyone here knows I did a nutrition page for Christi (ok, can we tell which two keys do not work?) on Chinchillas. I want to do one on guineas so I need people to send me the nutritional information off of petfood bags, treats, and the like (email address is in my profile ~ I hope ([email protected]). LOL. Need one of those non-working keys for my email address. If all else fails, ask Christi for it. Klingon Empire is down for the time being so that email address does not work. I won't get any email there for a while so please don't send email there.) . I would also really like it if someone could send me the nutritional information on dandilions. I can't find it.

Christi ~ do you want the GP nutrition page for PT or should I put it up on my own? You get first dibs on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I was hoping that you or someone else would be able to do that for me. Until I get a new keyboard I am afraid that someone is going to have to keep an eye on my posts and help me out.

So, you want to send me the info on Mazuri GP food? I know you have it.

:gpig:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You got it Christi. When it is done you can put it up here. Got some stuff that I need to look up...need the info on foods if people will please send it to me. Really don't want to have to look it all up on the net...that could take forever, especially since I have no clue how many foods are out there.

I am actually thinking of doing this for every animal...a nutrition page simialar to the one that did for the chins. What do you think?

Anyone feel like they are in the twilight zone reading my posts with the missing letters?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, if I am going to do all this I need people to send me information for it. Where should the post go to get everyones attention for that?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jorgha, I just got in a shipment from oxbow today, I can get you the information for Bunny Brome, Cavy Cuisine, and Orchard Grass... just let me know what EXACTLY you need!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, wanted to PM you back but your box is full, you can use my pictures of the babies for your new page.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The only foods I get are Cavy Performance for the kids, and Cavy Cuisine for the adults. Timothy, Oat, Orchard Grass Hays - and Wheat Hay from American Pet Diner.

I think Oxbow foods are the best - although the UPS driver hates me! He's allergic to hay, and gets a back ache every time I order!

·
Fertile Myrtle
3,063 Posts
Dallas and Erin, if you don't mind could you please post the ingredients for us?? If you need an idea of what we're looking for look in Georga's thread in the General Animal Discussion section - the title is Help.

Thanks!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cavy Cuisine

Here is the cavy cuisine from oxbow hay

Ingredients

Timothy Meal, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Meal, Salt, Limestone, Molasses Products, Yeast Culture, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Monophosphate L-ascorbic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Riboflavin, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Thiamine, Pyrodoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Lysine Hydrochloride, Sodium Selenite, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex and Cobalt Glucoheptonate.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein min 14.00 %
Crude Fat min 1.50 %
Crude Fiber min 25.00 %
Crude Fiber max 28.00 %
Calcium min 0.35 %
Calcium max 0.85 %
Phosphorus min 0.25 %
Salt min 0.50 %
Salt max 1.00 %
Vitamin A, IU/lb min 13,000
Vitamin C, mg/lb min 200

Cavy Cuisine is specifically designed to meet the particular nutritional needs of adult guinea pigs. It's lower level of protein helps protect the kidneys, it's decreased caloric cantent helps prevent obesity, and it's high level of quality fiber maximizes digestive function. Cavy Cuisine's optimal calcium to phosphurus ratio also helps maintain the health of the urinary tract. Timothy grass hay, a natural forage, is cavy cuisine's primary ingrediant. Timothy provides the fiber neccesary to maintain intestinal health and makes cavy cuisine the veterinarian's number one choice for your adult guinea pig.

Guinea pigs require daily supplementation with vitamin c. Cavy Cuisine includes stay C-35 , a stabilized form of vitimin c that has a six month shelf life. To guarentee that you guinea pig is consuming an adequete amount of vitamin c, be sure your pet is eating the amount of cavy cuisine indicated below. If your guinea pig is consuming less than the amount listed, you may need to supplement with additional vitamin c.

Feeding Instructions:
Growing(under 6 months): Not Recommended
Mature(over 6 months): 1/8 cup pellets daily in addition to unlimited grass hay.
Gestating/Lactating: No Recommended

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cavy performance

I copied this off the site

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein min 18.00 %
Crude Fat min 2.50 %
Crude Fiber min 18.00 %
Crude Fiber max 23.00 %
Calcium min .60 %
Calcium max 1.10 %
Phosphorus min .25 %
Salt min .50 %
Salt max 1.00 %
Vitamin A, IU/lb min 10,000
Vitamin C, mg/lb min 400

Ingredients

Alfalfa Meal, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Meal, Salt, Monophosphate L-Ascorbic Acid, Molasses Products, Yeast Culture, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Riboflavin, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Thiamine, Pyrodoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex and Cobalt Glucoheptonate

Feeding Instructions

Young Animals (under 6 months):
Feed unlimited pellets daily in addition to unlimited grass hay.

Adult Animals (over 6 months):
Feed 1/8 cup pellets daily in addition to unlimited grass hay.

Gestating and Lactating Sows:
Feed unlimited pellets daily in addition to unlimited grass hay. Alfalfa hay may be given in small quantities.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
western timothy hay

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein min 7.00 %
Crude Fat min 1.50 %
Crude Fiber max 32.00 %
Moisture max 15.00 %

Ingredients
timothy hay

Feeding Instructions

Timothy should be fed free-choice to mature animals as an alternative to orchard, oat and brome grass hays. Free-choice means that the feed is available at all times.

description

Western Timothy is a high fiber, low protein, low calcium grass hay which helps keep the gastrointestinal tract of rabbits and small herbivores functioning properly. Feeding timothy hay helps to prevent obesity, maintain a healthy urinary system and improve overall health.

Timothy is the hay most widely recommended by veterinarians for rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas and other herbivores. It is a very fragrant hay, which encourages consumption.

The first cutting is harvested in mid-summer. It is a more mature hay, containing a higher stem to leaf ratio and is coarser in texture. First cutting timothy is actually healthier as it is higher in fiber and lower in protein than a second cutting timothy, but some small animals may not find it as appealing as a second cutting.

The second cutting timothy is an immature cutting of hay, and therefore contains a higher leaf to stem ratio. It is harvested in the late fall and is very soft and palatable to small animals. It is our leafiest and most popular hay, and also makes great bedding material for young animals as it is very soft. (SUPPLY LIMITED!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Orchard grass

description:
Oxbow's Orchard Grass is a green,
fruity smelling grass hay. Small animals really enjoy the taste!

To the untrained eye, orchard grass looks identical to timothy, but the few seed heads present have a different shape. Like timothy, orchard grass hay is low in protein and calcium, yet still provides the high fiber animals need for a healthy gastrointestinal tract.

Orchard grass is a perennial cool season grass with flat leaf blades. The leaves vary in color from green to bluish-green depending on growing conditions. The lower surface of the leaf is not shiny and leaf sheaths can be somewhat rougher to the touch than timothy. Orchard grass is also known as "cocksfoot" in Europe, New Zealand and Australia.

Orchard Grass
A green, fruity-smelling grass hay with a taste small animals really enjoy!
Make your selection: 15 oz. - $3.99 40 oz. - $7.99 9 lbs. - $13.99 25 lbs. - $18.99 50 lbs. - $27.49
Quantity

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oxbow's Orchard Grass is a green,
fruity smelling grass hay. Small animals really enjoy the taste!

To the untrained eye, orchard grass looks identical to timothy, but the few seed heads present have a different shape. Like timothy, orchard grass hay is low in protein and calcium, yet still provides the high fiber animals need for a healthy gastrointestinal tract.

Orchard grass is a perennial cool season grass with flat leaf blades. The leaves vary in color from green to bluish-green depending on growing conditions. The lower surface of the leaf is not shiny and leaf sheaths can be somewhat rougher to the touch than timothy. Orchard grass is also known as "cocksfoot" in Europe, New Zealand and Australia.

Feeding Instructions

Orchard Grass can be fed free-choice to mature animals as an alternative to oat, timothy and brome grass hays. Free-choice means that the feed is available at all times.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein min 7.50 %
Crude Fat min 1.50 %
Crude Fiber max 32.00 %
Moisture max 10.00 %

Ingredients

Our product contains only the
freshest orchard grass hay!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alfalfa nibbles

sorry i dunno what happend to that last one.

here is the alfalfa

Alfalfa is a legume forage hay that is referred to as the "queen of forages". It differs from grass hays such as timothy, orchard, oat and brome in the leaf, stem and root structure. This creates higher protein, calcium and energy content in alfalfa than in these grass hays.

Because we take special care by baling at night, you will find Oxbow's Alfalfa Nibbles to have a soft stem with leaves attached. Alfalfa is an outstanding feed for young animals. It contains more crude protein, more digestible energy, and a higher calcium level than any other forage. In addition, it has the fiber content needed for normal digestive functioning.

Alfalfa provides the calcium essential for growing bones. It is also a source of important minerals, including phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, sulfur, iron, zinc and selenium.

Alfalfa is a wonderful high-fiber food for growing animals. Young animals can be offered alfalfa hay on a daily basis in addition to their grass hay. As your pet matures and calcium requirements decrease, gradually reduce the amount of alfalfa in the diet.

Animals prone to kidney stones, bladder stones, or crystals in their urine should always avoid alfalfa.

Elderly animals in their last stage of life should be fed foods they enjoy, such as alfalfa.

Alfalfa can be used as a appetite stimulant in thin or recovering animals.

Alfalfa can be used to help animals gain weight and give a nice bloom to their fur.

Feeding Instructions

Alfalfa is very nutritious, full of fiber, energy, protein, calcium and other nutrients. It is the wonder food of the hay world. But even "wonder foods" have their place. There are times you can and should give alfalfa to rabbits and other small animals, as long as you remember, "Everything in moderation".

Young bunnies and guinea pigs under the age of six months can be given alfalfa daily. Starting at six months, a transition should gradually be made to free-choice grass hay with alfalfa given as an occasional high-fiber treat. Always give grass hay to your pet so that when the time comes to wean them away from alfalfa, they will know the taste of other hays and not resist the change.

If you rescue a bunny that is thin and weak, alfalfa is an excellent food to entice them to eat. Alfalfa will promote weight gain and give a nice bloom to the fur. Often rabbits recovering from surgery are reluctant to eat for various reasons. Alfalfa is a very good appetite enhancer and will help your pet recover more quickly.

Elderly rabbits, during the last stages of their life, often have low appetites. It is more important at this stage to offer foods that they enjoy.

Since alfalfa is high in calcium (1.25-1.75%), animals that are prone to kidney stones, bladder stones or crystals in their urine should always avoid alfalfa. A healthy animal that does not have urinary problems can occasionally partake in an alfalfa treat. Like all treats, they are to be given infrequently and in small amounts.

Feeding Alfalfa Nibbles daily to youngsters or once a week to mature
animals is appropriate. Your pet will love you for it!

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein min 16.00 %
Crude Fat min 1.50 %
Crude Fiber max 32.00 %
Moisture max 15.00 %

Ingredients

Alfalfa Nibbles contains only the
freshest alfalfa hay!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oat hay

A companion forage similar in nutritional analysis to Western Timothy

Your animals will love the immature oat grain that is attached in the head and will benefit greatly from the fiber in the leaf and stem. Oat Hay is a good source of fiber and gives variety to your animal's diet. It also makes a good bedding alternative to wheat straw.

The stage of maturity at harvest determines the development of the seed head. If the hay is harvested at the early bloom stage, the actual oat kernel does not mature. The seed heads only contain the oat husks, which are all fiber.

It is at this early stage that Oxbow's Oat Hay is cut. The result is a light green/tan hay with flaky oat husks at the top. Although there is no actual oat kernel present, the hay smells like oats and small animals and rabbits LOVE this extra treat!

If your animal likes crunchy foods, Oxbow's Oat Hay would be a good addition to your hay mix!

Feeding Instructions

Oat Hay can be fed free-choice to mature animals as an alternative to Orchard Grass, Western Timothy and Bunny Brome. Free-choice means that the feed is available at all times.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein min 7.00 %
Crude Fat min 1.50 %
Crude Fiber max 32.00 %
Moisture max 15.00 %

Ingredients

Our product contains only the
freshest Oat Hay!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bunny brome

Although it looks a lot like Western Timothy, Bunny Brome has a wider blade. With a different flavor, it adds variety to an animal's diet and is a good source of fiber. Brome hay is slightly higher in protein than timothy.

Brome is a perennial grass that is grown in Eastern Europe, Russia and Canada as well as the north central part of the United States. It is recommended by veterinarians for small herbivores due to the nutritional content, as it is high in fiber and low in protein.

Bunny Brome can be mixed with other grass hays when feeding your pet. Animals seem to like the variety, and by mixing they are encouraged to eat more hay.

Feeding Instructions

Bunny Brome should be fed free-choice to mature animals as an alternative to Orchard Grass, Oat Hay and Western Timothy. Free-choice means that the feed is available at all times

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein min 7.00 %

Crude Fat min 1.50 %

Crude Fiber min 32.00 %

Crude Fiber max 15.00 %

Ingredients

Bunny Brome contains only the
freshest brome grass hay!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hay cakes

Hay Cakes are a convenient way to feed nutritious high-fiber hay!

Oxbow's Hay Cakes provide a compact, nutritious nugget while preserving the flavor and aroma of 100% fresh timothy hay.They are great for people who prefer not to have the mess of loose hay, but realize their pet needs the long stem particle size.

Perfect for rabbits, guinea pigs, prairie dogs, chinchillas and other small herbivores, and a real workout for the teeth!

Feeding Instructions

Feed several cubes a day to provide needed fiber and to help wear down the teeth.

100% timothy hay ~ contains no alfalfa!

Compact and easy to feed

Great for travel!

Good for people with allergies; keeps dust and pollen at a manageable level

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein min 7.00 %
Crude Fat min 1.50 %
Crude Fiber min 28.00 %
Crude Fiber max 30.00 %
Calcium min .60 %
Calcium max .80 %

Ingredients

Timothy grass hay, zeolite (trace binder).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts