Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently got a Lhasa Apso added to our family. She was not groomed much by her previous owners, and her hair is so matted we'll have to have her shaved when the weather gets warmer. Does anyone have advice on how often to do this? Is one time ok if the brushing is done regularly, or should we have her shaved every year or more?:angel:

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I think you can shave whenever it starts getting long which depends on growing conidition and diet etc. . . I think Lhasa Apso's are too cute! You'll have to share pictures!! :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
That depends on you, you can shave the dog all you want because the hair will grow anyway. I think shaving depends on how you want your dog to look.

·
Registered
26 Posts
sounds funny we are having a similar discussion about getting our chow a shave for the summer.. LOL....i think he needs it more for his health because of the heat here in the summer and he outside a lot.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
When to groom a dog

I know you are wondering as to when to groom a dog, as a responsible and caring dog owner, for sure you want your dog to be healthy and happy all the time, and to achieve that, don’t let your furry friend suffer from skin rashes, irritating pests, uncut hair, untrimmed nails, and become totally smelly and filthy.

Brush your dog frequently, mostly after bath, if you have a double-coated or long-haired breed with you. Everyday brushing will help remove dirt and germs build up on your dog’s hair.

Long-haired dog breeds require special attention for regular haircut. If the hair becomes nuisance to your dog’s viewing, or if it’s already too lengthy for your dog to move freely, head to a dog groomer and have those hair—that will eventually grow again—trimmed. :wavey:

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
If you wanna keep the "puppy" clip then probably every 3-4 weeks. However if you don't mind a little longish hair then every month or so. With the tzu I used to have, we clipped him every other month.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i got my grandmother a Lhasa Apso for her b-day. she gets a haircut every 2 months. it just grows like crazy. and brushes her coat regularly every evening. The hair stayed mid sized lenght- 3-4 inches.

·
Registered
802 Posts
i got my grandmother a Lhasa Apso for her b-day. she gets a haircut every 2 months. it just grows like crazy. and brushes her coat regularly every evening. The hair stayed mid sized lenght- 3-4 inches.
This is good grooming maintenance actually compared to sharing dogs, especially when the weather condition is not stable. Too short coat for cold days is not so good for dogs..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Grooming is an important part of keeping a dog, however it depends on how fast the fur grows, once you determine that then you can set time frames on when to groom your dog. This will vary form one dog to the other.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts