Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had Gizzy for a couple of months now. Everytime he gets vaccinated, he has an allergic reaction and his hair falls out, even with the premeds. It seems to grow back and then when he goes back for his next round of vaccs, it falls out again. About 2-3 weeks ago, my mom took him for his vaccs and pointed out the hair loss to the vet. He said to skip the vaccs because he was afraid that they might push him over the edge and instead gave him a Pred injection and some fish oil to put on his food. He had been given Pred injections before, during the vaccination time. Mom came home and put the fish oil on his food and within 15 minutes, I noticed his neck, chest and belly was really really red. Then I noticed little pustules or hives. We immediately gave him Benedryl and a few minutes later he had diarrhea and vomiting. I picked him up right after he vomited because he thought he was in trouble and he started seizing. We rushed him to the vet and he had to stay over night. They weren't sure if he was going to make it because they were scared to give him anymore meds that he may be allergic to. With him having a reaction that close to the fish oil, I had a gut feeling that's what caused it but his food had it in there too. I thought maybe the fish oil in the food caused the hair loss, but the higher concentration that we poured on the food made him have a full blown reaction. So I found a puppy food (Nature's Recipe) that didn't have fish oil and his hair started growing back for about a week or so. It looked really good and then in the past 2-3 days all that hair fell out again. He hasn't had any vaccs, so there's got to be something else he's allergic to that I'm missing. We did a skin scraping and it was negative. Any suggestions?

Sorry it was such a long post. I wanted to be very detailed. I'm trying to upload pics but my email is being stupid and won't let me open the attachments my mom sent me.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
What about mercury?

I recall a debate about vaccinations (human flu vaccinations to be specific) containing mercury. If the source of the fish oil had it....

And unfortunately the medical world thinks lesser of animals than humans so I'm sure if mercury is in human shots then its in animal shots as well.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
By the way Spyro had some hair loss after his rabies vaccination. What kind of dog is he? Some breeds (like doxies) are prone to reactions

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would be a possibility if he had gotten shots this past time he's lost his hair. He hasn't had any vaccs for about 3-4 weeks. He was doing really well on the new food, new hair had started growing, and then it just fell out again. Unless the vaccs are slowly releasing it into the bloodstream?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's a Chi/Min Pin mix. They're both prone to being vaccine reactors.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
hmm not sure. Maybe there is something that you clean your house with and not a vaccination reaction at all?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That would imply that we actually clean our house lol. Other than running the vacuum and keeping the bathroom clean, everything else just kind of goes ha ha. He's not allowed in the bathroom because we keep our chemicals in there and just keep the door shut to prevent any accidental ingestion. We use swiffer dusters and then, like I said, we vacuum out in the main part of the house. We're going to try baby detergent to see if that helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
mostly allergic reaction comes from dust and other germs inside and outside the house, but i've also heard some allergic reactions due to vaccination, make sure to talk to your vet

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The vet has been involved with his care from the second day we've had him. He basically just throws his hands up and shakes his head like he has no idea why he's doing it. We've been using that vet for decades. I'll try that spray, or the equivalent. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Do his reactions always or normally happen after he's been to the vet?

Maybe he could be allergic to something there? Maybe some kind of chemical or even other animals?

It sounds like he's having pretty severe reactions to something. If your current vet can't figure it out I would consider taking him somewhere else for a second opinion.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At first it was only after we took him to the vet, but this last week he hadn't been to the vet. I told my mom to take him for a second opinion. Whether she does is another story.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I tried several sprays and lotions on mess and that was my one and only that worked. others stopped itching but he still had a rash and hair loss, anti-biotics would make his rash go and hair grow back, until they stopped and it came back.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We've been rinsing him off when he comes in from outside. The hair on his leg is growing back but now he has a bald patch on his right side.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts