Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this isn't ideal, but here is my story....
(you can find the video on youtube, its called
Hairless rat mother takes care of orphaned hamster babies

(the forum wouldnt let me post a link)

Someone had listed pinkie hamsters on craigslist as "free snake snaks." I have rats and really don't know much about hamsters, but I wanted to save the poor lil things. I contacted the guy and before I knew it I was headed home with some imfant hamsters and no idea what I was going to do with them!

My hairless rat had a litter of pups that I was able to wean early at 3.5 weeks. I rubbed the hamster babies all over the rat pups to catch their scent. I don't know if it was luck, praying or a combination... But, my rat mother was cleaning, feeding and sitting on these babies within 5 minutes. Its been nearly a week and they are all fat and healthy.

I do plan to wean these babies right when I can and get them out of her cage, I do know how mean rats can be as I have owned them for over ten years. But in this case, my girl Ren was an angel.

I am hoping by sharing this I can help some people that might run into similar problems, and end up with hamster orphans. I really really don't recommend anyone does it without trying to find a hamster mother first though. This is a dangerous situation for the hamster babies, and only used in an EMERGENCY!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
This is an interesting story, and I'm glad it has worked for those babies. I'm not really sure what you mean when you say "I do know how mean rats can be", though. I've owned rats, hamsters and mice, and rats are the only animal that has never bitten me! (In fact, of all those animals, rats are known to be the least prone to biting, despite the social stigma they still unfortunately carry.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Breyer I agree with you 100%. Rats are the best pets and I trust them way more than my guinea pigs lol. I meant they can be cruel to other species. When I first had rats, I made the mistake of rooming a gerbil with them, and he was eaten. Also tried to raise a baby rat with a mouse, but when grown she took the mouses eye out. Then again I have had a rat and mouse live in harmony. Guess it just depends on the rat. But I give all my rats kisses on the face all the time, love em.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts