Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! It has been a while since I last posted I know. I really need help on this one guys, I rescued a of half wilds recently and all 4 females are pregnant with I am assuming the 1 males halfie that was with them. How should I go about raising them?

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Socialize the babies from day 1, and really work at it, more often, and more intensive then a domestic litter. You want them to really desensitize to their surroundings, and to gain a LOT of trust in you.

Have you ever socialized a litter before?

No chances at e-spays at all? Which would be ideal in this case.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have raised and socialized about 20 domestic litters but these will be my first halfies. No, all the females are ready to pop at anytime, I have neutered the male but it was a little late....and it was something the previous own should have done, I am going to have to keep all the rats unless I can find someone who has experience with halfies to take them. I would not let these guys go to an unprepared home.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
I have raised and socialized about 20 domestic litters but these will be my first halfies. No, all the females are ready to pop at anytime, I have neutered the male but it was a little late....and it was something the previous own should have done, I am going to have to keep all the rats unless I can find someone who has experience with halfies to take them. I would not let these guys go to an unprepared home.
OK next question, what are the pregnant mom's like? Can you handle them, are they nervous, nippy, aggressive? A domestic litter's mom plays a big role, but with halfies its hugely amplified and will tell you how much extra socialization they will need from you.

I also advise neutering the boys. The wild instincts and the hormonal surge combined is really bad for these poor fellows.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
I did neuter the male. The moms are all very fractious and nippy. I believe I have found someone to take them in who knows about halfies more then I do.
Glad to hear its not all going to on your plate. When I said neuter the boys, i mean the baby boys when they were old enough.

I hope this person can deal with this situation, 1 litter of halfies is more than enough for one rescuer :p

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear its not all going to on your plate. When I said neuter the boys, i mean the baby boys when they were old enough.

I hope this person can deal with this situation, 1 litter of halfies is more than enough for one rescuer :p
OH! Lol, yeah, the lady contacted me a little bit ago and she is going to take all the halfies but the neutered male so I will only have one halfie to deal with

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Hubby was attempting to remove the male halfie rat and this is what happened even though I told him he was pushing it with him, well hope he learned a lesson here.
A halfie bite is not like a domestic's is it? I have lots of scars from mine LOL...can you imagine if he was hormonal too? Eeeek!

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Whats the difference in halfie bites? My domestic boy bit me worse than that ... Severed a nerve in my finger ...

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Whats the difference in halfie bites? My domestic boy bit me worse than that ... Severed a nerve in my finger ...
A domestic often will judge the pressure of its bite, and if you know your rats will warn you at first. Whereas a halfie just goes full-on, and multiple times. A hormonal male chomping you to the bone is similar though. They go into rages, whereas halfies bite from fear usually.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Ah yeah mine was a hormonal boy in a new home ... Ouch Multiple bites? 1 was bad enough took over a month for my finger to be back to normal.

How deep did he get him?

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Halfies are a whole new ballgame...never forget they are halfies and not domestics, they won't hold back. Start by talking or even singing to your boy. Does he have a cagemate or is he alone?

Here is my comforter showing the spray of blood one of the halfie girls inflicted...it was 5 rapidfire bites.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh my goodness!!! :( Glad hubby has such quick reflexes and didnt have more damage then what he did. I am glad the lady is coming to take them to her place tomorrow, I just dont have the means or knowledge to house these guys.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Oh my goodness!!! :( Glad hubby has such quick reflexes and didnt have more damage then what he did. I am glad the lady is coming to take them to her place tomorrow, I just dont have the means or knowledge to house these guys.
Is she taking the boy now too?

·
Registered
228 Posts
This might sound ignorant, but I get that a halfie is half wild and half domesticated....but my question is...How does that happen? How does a halfie get into a pet store or anyones hands at all? I'm so confused :/

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was kind of wondering the same thing, Pseudo. Never heard the term halfie, or even knew that anyone bred/raised them as it doesn't sound like there'd be any good reason to do so. Why not just release them instead of raising them, also? They can't survive?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Halfies happed to me about the same way as when people cross dogs with wolves or coyotes.....to mostly say they have. But there are also times a wild male rat can sneak into your house if one happens to smell your females. As for these guys the lady I rescued them from was breeding this stupidly on purpose. She found 2 halfies and stuck them in a cage together to breed rapidly and to make money. She told me it makes the rats healthier, but thats not true. Most wild rats live a year at best. As to letting them go, I would say no, because now they have human dependency.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.