Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TORONTO -- With his ace labouring through a tough eighth inning, Toronto Blue Jays manager Cito Gaston decided it was time for a walk to the mound. Wholesale Jerseys USA . It turned out to be a very short trip. Strong pitching from starter Roy Halladay helped the Toronto Blue Jays pick up an 8-4 win over the Baltimore Orioles on Friday night at the Rogers Centre. The big right-hander continued an incredible personal string of success against Baltimore, allowing 10 hits over eight innings while striking out six. Halladay (5-1) improved to 9-0 with an 2.71 ERA in his past 11 starts against the Orioles. He has not lost to Baltimore since May 4, 2005, and is 19-4 in 29 career games against division rival. Maybe thats why he had such a quick answer for Gaston when the Toronto skipper came out to check up on him during a rough patch in the eighth. "He asked if I was OK, and I said yes," said Halladay, who dug deep to fend off a Baltimore rally before Scott Downs took over to pitch a scoreless ninth inning. After giving up a two-run homer to Nick Markakis in the first, Halladay cruised through the Orioles lineup until the eighth, when Baltimore scored twice to make it a two-run game at 6-4. But Toronto answered back with RBIs from Adam Lind and Millar in the bottom half of the inning to restore the four-run lead. Millar, a former Orioles first baseman, finished with three RBIs. That support did not go unnoticed by Halladay. "We got some big runs late when we needed it to kind of keep it safe," he said. With his pitching staff ravaged by injuries, Gaston said the quality performances Toronto has come to count on from Halladay are all the more significant. "Its very important he gave us eight innings tonight, it gives the bullpen a bit of a rest," Gaston said. "I think everybody would like to have about 10 Docs around. Thats impossible, but we do have one, so weve got to enjoy him." The Orioles started the game with a battery of former Blue Jays, as Gregg Zaun caught for lefty Mark Hendrickson (1-4). Zaun, who entered the game hitting a paltry .111 on the season, smacked two hard singles against his old team. While strolling up the plate for his first at-bat, Zaun received a hearty ovation from the 20,202 in attendance in appreciation for his five seasons in Toronto. "It was bittersweet for me to come home," said Zaun, who signed in the off-season as a free agent with Baltimore. "I felt pretty nostalgic all day once I got to the building. Its a special place for me." While he got an affectionate greeting during his first plate appearance, Zaun drew some distinct boos during his other at-bats. "Thats pretty flattering, too," he said. "Its been a long time since I was booed that vehemently." Hendrickson, who spent the 2002 and 2003 seasons with the Blue Jays, was staked to a 2-0 lead before taking the mound and looked good early on, keeping Blue Jays hitters off balance through three innings before things came undone. Alex Rios and Vernon Wells got things started in the fourth for Toronto (16-9) with consecutive singles. After advancing to third on a long flyball from Lind, Rios crossed home on Scott Rolens infield single. Millar then slapped his double of the night before coming around to score from second on a single by Barajas. Insurance runs came in the seventh when Lind hit solo shot for his fifth homer of the year and Rod Barajas, who went 3-for-4 with two RBIs, knocked a run-scoring double. Linds RBI in the eighth gives him a team-leading 22 RBIs on the year. Baltimore (9-14) opened the scoring in its first at-bat when on Marakiks third homer of the year, extending his hitting streak to a career-best 17 games. The Os eighth-inning runs occurred when Aubrey Huff singled home Adam Jones and Markakis scored on a fielders choice. While he obviously appreciates pitching for a team thats had no trouble scoring runs this season, Halladay said the Jays spike in offensive production hasnt really changed his approach. "Its been nice, but as a starting pitcher you have to go out and pitch regardless of what happens in the first," he said. "Usually the game is determined later in the seventh, eighth, ninth. You really do the best you can to limit it and give your team a chance to get going and it worked out that way tonight." Notes: Pitchers Brian Wolfe

1 - 1 of 1 Posts