Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally finished it! A lot of stuff was not mentioned in the tutorials...

Like, always put on the door last otherwise it's not stable enough to stand.

Your fingers will be raw and bruised if you don't have pliers for the zip ties.

Sticky vinyl tile is D**n hard to cut and you better do it right the first time otherwise you end up with a lot of cracked tile that you have to duct-tape together.

Don't use S**tboard (My dad calls it that, don't know what it actually is) because it splinters from the drill and has layers of various hardness.

The exacto knife is your most very bestest friend evar.

If you can't block the bunny from the zip-tied panels, don't let the bunny out. Unless you want him to snip all of the ties too short so you have to redo the entire wall.

Make sure your screwdriver for the wheels is of good quality and the bit you use is not slightly too small for the screwhead and strips halfway through, resulting in hammer pounding, more screwing, and a lot of swearing. And, eventually, duct-tape.

Make sure the wheels are at least two inches from the edges otherwise your drill can't go through and you have to abandon two holes for the base.

Vinyl tiles will peel when exposed to the vibrations of a drill too close to a seam.

But despite everything I persevered. And this is the result!

And for some pictures of Hamm inside and out of his new home:

Hmmm, some of my pics are not showing the editing...

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Wow, nice cage! Its sounds like you had quite the time building it, LOL! But I bet seeing that cute little bunny face made it all worth it :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it was an epic build. But, if I ever have to do it again (and I pray I will not) I know better XD

It was totally worth the disapproving glare he gave me when I tricked him into going inside! After getting over his initial displeasure he had an awesome time jumping the shelves and exploring the two levels. He looks so tiny compared to the cage :)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
"Sticky vinyl tile is D**n hard to cut and you better do it right the first time otherwise you end up with a lot of cracked tile that you have to duct-tape together."

Agreed...when I was building my bunny's cage with my fiance and his dad, we used left over expensive sticky vinyl tiles that my fiance's parents had years ago been coerced into buying by the employee, and they used them, they weren't worth sh*t. And when we put them in my bunny's cage as flooring... yeah...there was cracking.

Was there a reason not to use carpeting?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I couldn't find anything other than the tiles, unfortunately. I was considering Linoleum but it was hella expensive. I think I might get seagrass mats for Hamm to caper on but for now I have no money left...

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
you know what Ive really need liking? Slate tiles. Im not sure how it would be covering the entire bottom of the cage (you would probably have to seal it) but I put them in the corners that Smudge likes to dig in.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you keep the tile down? Yeah, stuff that is expensive and covers the entire shelving/floor... not good for my poor student budget. For digging sounds like a good idea (and Hamm does love his digging).

Uh oh, looks like I'm going to have to secure the litter box... *sigh* he likes his bigger space a tad too much methinks.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Theyre pretty heavy so rabbits cant lift them. You could grout them onto something (like a board maybe?) to keep them in place. Alot of people grout and seal those tiles into bearded dragon cages, so its safe. :D

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
It looks fab! And Hamm is just way too adorable:D

·
Registered
754 Posts
Wonderful cage!! I couldn't help but laugh at the story behind it, although I am certain that NO laughing was going on while building it!! It had to be worth it though seeing how much your lil' bunny loved it!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
*flip!* ....? Or he's seeing if you're hiding any goodies underneath it, lol. Any treats for him being, you know, such an *awesome* bunny.
Nah, he hasn't flipped.... yet but he's shunting it around the first floor... aaaand still peeing in the spot is was. I think I solved it tho (with my epic garbage scrounger skillz).

XD The only goodies under there are squished poos. He totally thinks he deserves all his treats despite him being a big troublemaker. The simethicone tablet, the raisins, especially the bananas. I've been calling him Dagoth-Ur simply because he's the terror of the household :rolleyes:

Theyre pretty heavy so rabbits cant lift them. You could grout them onto something (like a board maybe?) to keep them in place. Alot of people grout and seal those tiles into bearded dragon cages, so its safe.
Something he can't lift? I'm on it. :thumbsup:

It looks fab! And Hamm is just way too adorable
Hammurabi thinks so too :tyvm: He's a Hamm for the camera, always posing lusciously.

Wonderful cage!! I couldn't help but laugh at the story behind it, although I am certain that NO laughing was going on while building it!! It had to be worth it though seeing how much your lil' bunny loved it!!
Yeah, I can laugh about it now but while I was building it there was... a lot of choice words. The internet really needs a Do-it-yourself For Dummies Rabbitcondo instructions :/

It's definitely worth the pain just to see him enjoy his much larger cage. He's a tad confuzzled over all the space and hangs out on the bottom more but I'm hoping when he gets more comfy he'll move to the top areas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts