Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my local petstore i can buy hamster/rodent running balls. ya know where ya put the hamspster in, and let him run free!
i was wondering how safe these are for degu!
I would love to let mine out of thier cage to run about, but i fear i wont be able to get them back into thier cage!
any ideas??

·
Registered
24 Posts
well, im pretty sure its safe, as long as you dont have and other animals, like a dog or a cat or any other animal that runs around the house free in the house, but if you do, just put them in a room and close the door, otherwise its pretty safe. but it should be pretty easy to get them back in the cage, because they dont move around that fast in the ball, so just catch the ball, open it, reach in and pick them up and put the back in their cage, that simple, well at least it is with my degus. i dont know about others. but you could also put the opening of the ball up to the cage door and maybe they will crawl out into their cage!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I'm not a fan of those for degus. Degus are smart little creatures and can usually escape from them (or simply chew out) really easily. Besides, they prefer to be able to climb and explore.

Try letting your degus out in the bathtub until you're more comfortable handling them. It's an enclosed space that will still give them room to play :).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tanks for the replies everyone.
i heard the bathtub is a good idea, cos there is no way to escape!!!

Might try this next time i clean out thier cage,. cos i have a small spare cage to put them in while i clean out their big one, but there are rascals, the climb into the small one and as soon as i go to shut the door they hop back out, into the big one! lol:D

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I also wouldn't use them for degus :).
Wen people put hamhams in they got to be very careful ...when my hamhams were alive I would monitor how long they were in their ball.They prefer to run free more than those balls I think.

I like Sasami's bathtub idea. ;) Perfect place for your degus to get used to you,you to get used to the,& room to play ^^;

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Well, I wouldn't exactly say that :lol:. You'd be surprised how high degus can jump! Usually they can't get out but I've had a couple that could. So just watch them at first to make sure they can't :).

·
Registered
104 Posts
my degus used to escape from the bathtub.i have large rodent balls, used for rats, its about 1f in diamater,plenty big for them to run around, and they do pick up some good speed in them too, great fun to watch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
why not get a play pen instead of using the running balls? I use a play pen for my chinchillas and it works out great you can buy covers for them so that they don't jump out which I do use I have a chin that loves to jump and he can jump very high and this way with the cover I never have to worry about him getting out and getting hurt my boys love it. So my suggestion if you would like to give play time and don't have a safe place for them to run the play pen is the best thing to use. Hopefully this is helpful

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have a gian ferratt 1 and my degus love it i lets them roll in it twice a day for 15 mins and they love it .. so i say get a bigger ball then a hamster

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have a giant ferrate ball and my degus love it they go in it twice a day 15 mins each and they just loved it rolling round (even my fat one that just sleeps in it coge loves it)... so i say yeah but get a bigger ball then for a hamster :D

·
Registered
53 Posts

Might try this next time i clean out thier cage,. cos i have a small spare cage to put them in while i clean out their big one, but there are rascals, the climb into the small one and as soon as i go to shut the door they hop back out, into the big one! lol:D
i put my degus in the bathtube and the next thing i new i was running roung the house like a lonney :mad2: i evently get them just befor the dog did .... and my dog never has chased the ball when my degus were in there ball

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i put mine into the bath! and they had a great time! figured out hoe to jump out tho! but i just kept a close watch at all times!
my local pet store has a giant rat ball! thinking of getting it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
okay so maybe not!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
my degus are escape artists so I dont even bother with those balls even though my kids areally want me to get one for them. But it doesnt bother me when they escape cause they never go far, and they always come back when I call them, and if they're being litle stinkers and dont respond to my voice, I just shake their food bag, that never fails lol. I really need to get them a bigger wheel, but all the pet stores around here just have the small ones, I found a bigger one at my local petco, but it was already broken and had a perfect spot for their little feet to get stuck. I dont understand why nobody carried large wheels, just makes no sense. I feel bad watchng all my 3 degus shove themselves into a wheel big enough for one. So I may end up having to buy a ball til I can find a wheel.
-pollybug

·
the rodent lover<3
626 Posts
I bought this for my gerbils:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754677

It's bigger then it looks. Josh tries to jump out of it so I watch them periodically. Usually ill use it for when i'm cleaning their cage, since I don't like putting them in shoe boxes, and they poop too much in the bath tub. :rolleyes: Hehe. You should get it. It comes with a green mat. I wouldn't get a hamster ball, i've had one for the gerbils and they just didn't use it. The playpen is actually good in size. And you can put all kinds of things in there.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I bought this for my gerbils:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754677

It's bigger then it looks. Josh tries to jump out of it so I watch them periodically. Usually ill use it for when i'm cleaning their cage, since I don't like putting them in shoe boxes, and they poop too much in the bath tub. :rolleyes: Hehe. You should get it. It comes with a green mat. I wouldn't get a hamster ball, i've had one for the gerbils and they just didn't use it. The playpen is actually good in size. And you can put all kinds of things in there.
A degu would climb out of that in two seconds IMO :lol:. The reason tubs work better is because they can't climb out as easily.

·
the rodent lover<3
626 Posts
A degu would climb out of that in two seconds IMO :lol:. The reason tubs work better is because they can't climb out as easily.
LOL Really? Wow... they must jump high! My gerbils can get out of it.. but barely! xD

1 - 20 of 27 Posts