Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Where did you guys buy your big rodent balls,

I would love to see pics :)

Im new to degus and have only had Red and blue 6 weeks, there great!
You can buy ones sized for chinchillas and rats. But as I had said, exercise balls aren't really recommended for degus. They tend to escape from them easily (degus prefer to roam and explore, anyways).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Degus in a Hamster Ball

I did some research before I considered letting my oldest (and biggest) Rascal in a hamster ball. The information I found was 50/50.

The Negatives:

• A little degu paw or tail could get caught and broken in the ventilation slits
    -> find one with recessed slits, not just holes in the plastic and use your best judgment/gut
  • Degus have good eyesight compared to most rodents but seeing obstacles like furniture and walls through a plastic ball isn't easy - try it yourself in the store.

The Positives:

• Depending on your degu's personality they love it! For mine: Rascal loves it, Sugar....not so much
  • It keeps him happy and distracted while I clean the cage before I let him run around in the blocked off hallway
  • It's great to take when I go for a day trip or weekend to a relatives house where I don't have a good space to let them run (I don't have a playpen setup)

They are not a replacement for watching your lil ones when they're out, degus will chew through the ball if you turn your back long enough. I entered Rascal in a hamster ball race at the local Petco and he beat out all the hamsters, rats and mice the people entered even though he was in the biggest ball (9" or 11") all the others were in 5" balls tops.

I have a video. When I can I'll post it up and link to it, it's pretty adorable.

I forgot to mention, make sure if you pick one up you pick up a nice plant based organic/ all natural spray cleaner or a natural and mild detergent. They tend to pee and poo while they run so when anyone comes out of the ball I spray it, wipe it down, rinse it in water then let it dry completely before letting anyone else play.

·
Registered
3 Posts
mine love there ball have escape lots of times got new one when got durty they are smart and have leart to slam it up aganst hard objects to pop it open so always selotape them in too remember they are very smart

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got a couple rat balls for my girls they love them! I've not once caught them trying to chew their way out or anything, plus I only let them run around for twenty minutes or so before they come for a run around my sofa. I suppose it's down to the degu and whether they're content in a ball or not. Mine are fine so I'd say give it a try and see what you think.

The ball I've got is a large size ball from petsathome.com (I think they're about £13) which is plenty big enough and the doors are pretty tight on them too so not much chance of them popping open. The air holes are also too small for their tails to get caught in too.

I'd say buy one and judge whether you think it's good for you and your degus - definately get a large one meant for rats or the like though as an actual hamster ball is just too small! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recently tried a Rat ball for my degu's and They LOVE IT!!! I make sure that I supervise them the whole time and they are now up to an hour of play time running around my little apt in the ball. They get upset with me if I forget to give them there play time in the morning! :) I started with 2 of them in the ball at once and now they are running 1 at a time. I am actually going to purchase a 2nd ball this week so we can have 2 running at a time. I tried the bath tub but mine were really scared in there and just trying to get out but they love the ball. I wish I could have a room for them to run in safely but I don't trust them that much yet plus I have too many cords on the floor they could chew through. But I actually thing the ball is a great idea. The bigger the better. Mine is actually advertised for Chincilla's and rats, it's very roomey. Make sure you clean it out often as they do get dirty very quickly but it's worth it. I do have some younger degu's who do chew on the ball and try to escape it but I just keep an extra close eye on all of them and they do great and if they start chewing it's time to let them out. I started by letting them run for as long as they wanted. Probably about 10 15 minutes at first now it's been 2 weeks and they go and go and go for an hour before I put them up. :) My little ladies love it :) So I would highly recomment a ball :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts