Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had two roborovski dwarf hamsters, Seamus and Liam. They got along fine, even though they were introduced to each other seperately. Seamus died however, and Liam was left alone.

We went out and bought a new robo so he would have another friend, and are trying to introduce them. I tried cleaning everything out so that there was no scents and then putting the new one in with Liam, but they fought. I seperated them using the split cage method.

That was a few weeks ago. At first they seemed very skittish around each other through the divider. But they started warming up to each other. They would sit near each other on either side without really caring. I would sprinkle food on either side of the divider so they had to be right up near each other when they ate. I switched them every 3-5 hours for the first few days, and then switched to around 2-3 times a day for the next week or two.

I decided today to test my fate, since they were pretty well behaved today and I had all night to watch them. Instead of of just removing the divider I took another persons advice. I got a decent sized box. I put unscented toilet paper on the inside, along with a new toilet paper roll and a few random cups for toys. I sprinkled food along the entire box. I dabbed vanilla extract here and there across the box, and then put some vanilla extract on both of their hindsections and their noses.

Then I took a deep breath and put them in the box. They were fine for a few minutes, just skiddish and running away from each other. Eventually I guess they figured out who each other were, and started fighting again. I had a shirt (I got bit and accidently flung Liam across the room last time they had a fought, when Liam managed to evade the divider before I bought a better one) and I seperated them whenever they started rolling around.

I heard youre supposed to leave them to duke it out until they start squealing or blood is drawn but I have too big of a maternal instinct and they scared me and I couldn't help it. :(

But anyway, the squabbles continued for a while, I kept just jiggling the shirt on them when they got into it and they would seperate, run around for a few seconds, and then go at it again. It usually started with Liam going after the new one, the new one boxing, ending up on his back, and then both of them rolling.

Finally all **** broke loose. They managed to evade my shirt and get into the toilet paper roll where I couldnt get to them. I heard squeeking and dumped them out and it took a little bit to seperate them (they wouldnt stop!) but i finally got them separated and returned to opposite sides of the divider on the cage.

Now Im extremely disheartened. :( I was really hoping for the best and I wish they would just get along.

Is there anything I did wrong? What should I do, is there any hope for them at all?

Please help. :(

·
I am allergic to maths
1,318 Posts
They are two males, if you leave them to fight for dominance when one rolls on its back and squeals it means i surrender, after this they should get along as long as they dont have to share anything exept a cage

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing I'm worried about though, blood was drawn last night. Granted, it wasn't anything bad, Liam has a little nick on his nose now that was bleeding a little. I thought that meant the fighting was really bad though and to seperate them if blood was drawn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts