Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i was reading on facebook that kiln dried pine wood is NOT safe for hamsters guinea pigs an gerbils ,as bedding shavings , but without looking stupid i wanted to ask if the shelving houses and toys made with kiln dried pine planks would is safe , asking google just does not work as it just reverts back to not to be used as shavings for bedding, but bedding was not my question , i feel like i was banging my head against a brick wall trying to research the answer,
is kiln dried pine wood safe to use for houses steps toys etcc for our small animals
thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pine can cause allergies to gerbils and hamsters are similar, so probably not. I would recomend looking for another material, or asking a staff member at a pet shop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi i was reading on facebook that kiln dried pine wood is NOT safe for hamsters guinea pigs an gerbils ,as bedding shavings , but without looking stupid i wanted to ask if the shelving houses and toys made with kiln dried pine planks would is safe , asking google just does not work as it just reverts back to not to be used as shavings for bedding, but bedding was not my question , i feel like i was banging my head against a brick wall trying to research the answer,
is kiln dried pine wood safe to use for houses steps toys etcc for our small animals
thanks
In my experience pine causes allergies to small rodents, in my case Gerbils but I'd think that is similar to hamsters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my experience pine causes allergies to small rodents, in my case Gerbils but I'd think that is similar to hamsters.
hi
thank you for your replies
we have checked with the vets and pet shops too and the same thing again .
kiln dried pine wood they say would be ok as shelving an for toys but it must be kiln dried not just pine.
natural pine an pine wood shavings cant be used , ( i was like erm who can make a shelf from wood shavings )
so i am trying to find an alternative safe wood to use to make there shelves an ramps because we still dont know who to take advice from shops or vets ,
thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts