Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody here ever had a female Degu neutered. I know it's best to have the males neutered, but I was wanting to put one of my females in with four boys. She is their mother and they are all just so lovely. Two of the girls she is living with are really feisty and there are a lot of scraps and she always comes off worse and has to be separated from them and her daughter who also lives with the girls. If anybody has had a girl neutered and can tell me what the outcome was, it would be much appreciated. Most of the time they are fine, but the reintroduction is an awfully long and stressful process for her after an episode of major fighting. It's always her that gets hurt the most and she ends up doing that little timid squeak that they do when they are depressed :-( She gets very defensive and attacks anything that comes near her, even if the others are fine with her by that point. It soon becomes another fighting session. At the moment, I have divided the cage and I am waiting for a wound on her head to heal and for her to feel a bit better before deciding what to do next. Her daughter goes in to see her occasionally but I have to get her out again because she's very lively and jumps all over my poor Dotty and distresses her. She's had an antibiotic jab and I'm giving her antibiotic drops for a few days to make sure she doesn't get an infection in her wounds. If someone's had experience of neutering females I would really love to hear about it. :-> :(

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've only had experience with neutering males. All the cases I am personally aware of went very well. Sorry though, no experience with females! Sounds like a good idea though, kudos to you for trying to find the best way of working this situation out!

Hope she recovers quickly from her most recent injury!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...we have her in with her daughter at the moment and they are doing fine but it's the other two girls...they are just maniacs! They don't really mean to be but they are a bit too 'in your face' for her. She's laid back and they're just into everything. As soon as you open the door they're there...jumping at you, while she mooches about quite happy doing her own thing and popping her head out from time to time. They are nosey and want to know what she and her daughter are doing all the time and I think she just wants them to chill out a bit. They are quite a bit larger than her too and I think she probably feels a bit intimidated sometimes. Oh well...I hope someone has experienced a female neutering...I will hang on though as I know it's far more risky and I don't want to lose her...she's such a cutie.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
In my opinion it is far too risky and i'm not sure many vets would spay a female degu due to the risks involved, neutering a male degu is difficult as they don't do well under the anaesthetic and can have adverse reactions to it. Couldn't she live wih her daughter who she gets along with in a seperate cage? Be a lot easier and less stressful in the long run for all of you plus even if you did get her spayed they is a chance the boys might not accept her and could cause friction in the boys camp.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, she's in with her daughter at the moment and they're all in the large cage but with a divider down the middle and they've started to be friendly to each other through the divider without all the moaning and groaning and teeth sharpening. This is how it goes and then we reintroduce them and they are like it never happened. I think that, if it happens again, I will get another cage. I really don't like thinking about my little babies being anaesthetized and cut about. I'm pretty sure the boys would be okay with dotty, but I'm still not sure that, as they get bigger, they wouldn't also try to dominate her and upset her. I've got enough space for another cage but my boyfriend didn't even want the large double cage we've already got until I sulked so much that I got my own way. I would probably do that again for three cages :-> He loves them all too but is not as obsessed as me when it comes to animals. I think most of my wages goes on toys and treats for the pets. I will probably try to reintroduce them again today, while the kids are at school. I have a small wire pet carrier and I divide that so that all of them are crammed in it but still separated. I put one of the others in with Dotty and Sugar and then the other if all goes well. At least it means I can grab one and separate them quickly again. The boys and Dotty and Sugar are so calm and laid back...these two big girls I got from a friend are hooligans! They are so funny and sweet, but their personalities are so different from the others. It makes you realize that there are even different genes running through Degu's bodies that dictate how they behave. I will post again when all is calm. Thanks for everybody's help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.