Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 female 10 mo old Degu's that I need to find homes for. I rescued them from a shelter and need to p lace them. I have 2 cats that drool over them and I feel bad that they do not get the attention that they deserve. They are a bit timid and have never bitten me or my husband. They do need to be worked with but again not enough time. I am really desperate for some help.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Did you call the shelter? Some shelters want the animals back if it doesn't work out.

It would also help to list your location ;).

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
That's tricky, how did you get them if they're illegal? I guess you could try re-homing them in a surrounding state?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We run a rescue group and most employees at the shelter turn a cheek when it comes to cute things. We have tried to rehome them for the last 10 mo. No bites. Not a lot of people know what a Degu is.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Does the rescue you're involved with do any transportation? Maybe you could arrange for the degus to be transported to a home in another state.

Where in GA are you? The rescue I volunteer for MIGHT be able to help.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I will be happy to drive a distance but not across the US.
Did you see my post? It's possible that transportation could be arranged, we'd just need to know your actual location. If you don't want to post, send me a PM :).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We are in Clarks Hill SC just outside of Augusta, GA. Like I said i would be willing to meet soemone half way to deliver them. Just the people that I have been talking too have NO degu exp and i just do not feel 100% giving them to soemone who does not understand them

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me rephrase that . The people that have been interested in them have no exp. From reading your posts I would be happy to give them to any of you. You have WAY more exp.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Hmm.

The rescue I'm involved with frequently transports dogs from GA to NY. If I could find someone truly interested who lives in NY (or a nearby state who's willing to drive here), getting them transported too would be a possibility. I can't permanently take any degus right now (I'm most likely moving by the end of the year) but could foster until the owner was available to pick them up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Depending on the location of the rescue's transports, I could take the degus and meet along the route in NJ or Northeast PA and take the goos.....
I currently have 5 (all Craigslist rescues that people were dumping - one of whom was kept in a tiny, tiny hamster cage with NO toys and fed mouse food for 3 yrs and is SOOO happy in his 5 foot tall cage with his two cagemates and hammocks, toys, hay, degu feed (Sunseed and Exotic Nutrition), multiple houses of cardboard, hay, and herbs, etc) and have a spare cage, toys, and hammocks (just under 5 foot tall cage) so I could take in females with no problem (all 5 current goos are male). Am off work for a week and a half next weekend, so am redoing all my cages that week...
I work in a veterinary clinic on weekends and have experience with many types of animals and all of my animals have forever homes with me.
I currently have 3 dachshunds - a 9 yr old female with CHF and Kidney disease on 3-5 meds/day, a 2.5 yr old puppy mill rescue, and a 1.5 yr old that I handraised from 2 weeks.
I have 5 goos (Bugs, Speedy, Taz, Wile E., and Roadrunner).
I also have 2 ferrets and have had : hamster, guinea pigs, birds, fish, hermit crabs, cats, other breeds of dogs....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you find a home for your degus? I'm looking for 2 females but be forewarned that we are new to degus but certainly not new to pets. I have been researching them but I am having a difficult time finding any nearby - Alabama.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts