Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

having the hardest time with nails!

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  caitlin14 
#1 ·
I am struggling with cutting benji's nails! I have tried bunny burrito, but she associates that when she had to get medicine so she just starts ducking her head down and wont stop so i cant get her still enough. I have tried clipping one or two if i can while she is super relaxed and sleeping, and that sort of worked. But I just cant figure out a good way to cut them, she is such a squirmer / hates being picked up and confined. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Some bunnies are like that and it merely freaks them out. I would suggest having someone hold her while you cut her nails. Quick and simple. It takes practice bending your wrist in unimaginable ways to get in at some of them but it's how I learned with my brat. Now I can take her outside (bc she won't move off my laps until I release her) and clip them while she sits there.

The thing is practice and patience. Try to go in after taking a deep breath and the idea that "this will work" assertiveness. Get the idea that as long as you're not physically hurting her then you can do no damage!! lol Give her a treat afterwards of course!

#3 ·
I have a similar problem. One of my rabbits throws a fit if anyone attempts to pick him up - he really really hates it.

Is Benji easily distracted by food or anything? Sometimes I can get my guy to stay still if I put a pile of food down for him. He'll be busy eating and I can gently lift one paw at a time and clip the nails.

Or, if you can, see if you can have someone have Benji sit on their lap and give her food and attention to distract her, while you clip her nails.

#4 ·
both of you guys helped a lot! I had someone hold benji and put a lot of her favorite food in front the face and i got the front paws clipped pretty easily thank goodness! I thought i was going to have a lot of trouble, Still working on the back ones, luckily they aren't as long, and i just have been clipping those one or two at a time, when benji lays down with her feet sticking out back! Thanks alot for the suggestions!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.