Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering how much a WEEK you spend on hay. for two rabbits i spend 8.99 a week. and they are small, Ryo is 6 lbs, and Alex is about three now.
my only hay brand choices here are oxbow and kaytee. what i am buying now is oxbow and its 8.99 for 40 oz
i have been looking for a farmer that deals in grass hay for over a year now and i cannot find any. to me the cost of hay is crazy!

· Registered
1,379 Posts
Ya buying bags of hay is crazy expencive.
I bought a 'small' bale of Timothy for $14, i've had it and least three weeks and only gone through maybe 1 or 2 flakes with my 4 bunnies.
I have found it's hard to get timothy, so i have to start searching long before i need it, as it's not always available.
I buy bales for other rabbit owners since we have a truck and it's hard for poeple in cars to pick up a bale.

· Registered
168 Posts
Yah, if you live near a farm that is really helpfull. Sometimes my mom can pick me up a bale when she gets herself some, but I usually have to buy it in little bags. I have to buy a bale this week, so I'll probably spend about $20. Mine is for 2 guinea pigs though, so it's not quite the same scale.

· Registered
472 Posts
yeah i spend about $8.99 a week on a bag of the Oxbow fresh cut timothy hay. it is expensive but the girls LOVE it so much and it keeps them healthy, so it's worth it in the end. but i've been buying it from a local store and have recently discovered that you can buy a much bigger bag of it online from places like rabbitstop.com for a lot cheaper. i think i'll probably start doing that now. cause yeah, sometimes bunny costs get pretty high... :rolleyes:

· Registered
77 Posts
it probably depends on where you live. I have an acquaintance who grows Timothy Hay. I pay $2.50 for a 70 pound bale.

I just got a half bale of basic wheat and grasses for free the other day. Can't wait to see if the kids like it.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
My brother-in-law's family grows hay to sell and he'll give me hay for free. He grows timothy and alfalfa and a few others. I usually only get timothy from him, but I've been getting some alfalfa for Rocko.

· Registered
120 Posts
What do you do for a bunny that won't eat the hay? I am feeding him a brand called Nature's Cafe out of WA. Before Pip passed away, I thought the hay was being eaten cuz I was refilling it often enough. But now that Pip is gone, I've noticed that Dude hasn't touched it.... not even once... and it has been a week! So maybe Pip was the only one who was eating it? Do you think it is the brand? Or are there some bunnies that don't like hay?

· Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes
2,936 Posts
Tabatha hasn't been eating her hay either. I was concerned and asked her vet about it. He told me that there is a lot of motions involved in eating hay. She may not be able to do it with her head tilt. She is on oxbow timothy based pellets and fresh veggies every day. She gets fruit as well.
I think you should call your vet to let her know he has not been eating his hay. Everything I read said they must have hay in thier diet. I still get a bit worried she is not eating any but it has been going on for months now.
Oh and I have oxbow timothy grass hay, orchard grass and meadow grass (I think) and she will not eat any of them!

· Registered
275 Posts
My vet recommended Oxbow hay, I dont know if you are getting the same quality at those large chain stores. Go to www.oxbowhay.com and store locator to see if there are any stores in your area.

I pay $7.49 for a large bag of Timothy Hay. They have other types of Oxbow hay as well, Bunny Brome, Orchard Grass and Oat Hay. They are in a small bag and are about $3.49.

I mix Timothy Hay with Orchard Grass and Oat Hay. This helps cut down on how often I go to the pet store because I take a little from each bag.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.