Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Janelle 
#1 ·
I purchased some alfalfa and timothy hay cubes and was wondering if these are as good as just regular hay. The hay I have for Optimus now, he throws everywhere and only likes certain parts of the hay. Can I only give him these cubes now or should I give him both?

My mazuri and tons of toys should be here within the next couple of days. Yay :D:D:D

#5 ·
I would not not give loose hay. I would give both if you really want to but my three want nothing to do with the cubes, they just play with them, haha. Loose hay is definitely a favorite here. :) You could feed timothy loose hay as fast as they eat it and an alfalfa cube once or twice a week.

#6 · (Edited)
I've heard many times that cubed hay and loose hay require different grinding actions of the teeth. The loose hay is more beneficial for keeping the back teeth or molars ground down to an appropriate level. If the chinchilla likes the cubed hay, you can give it to them, but I would continue to offer the loose hay as well.

Also, be careful with alfalfa. If your pellet is alfalfa based and you're also feeding alfalfa hay, your chinchilla may be getting too much calcium and this can lead to bladder stones.

#7 ·
I'm switching to Mazuri which is alfalfa based, so I'll be feeding him timothy hay. I'll definitely offer him both cubes and loose. Good point about the teeth! He tried shredded wheat (sugar free) for the first time today and LOVES it! I've never seen him beg so much :lol:. I also got him a hammock, but he doesn't seem to like it very much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.