Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have my two boys separated due to constant fighting. They're remaining separate until and a few days after my youngest gets neutered (as he is the bully). But he is a major chewer and has chewed a gigantic hole through the cage he's in right now. Not big enough to fit through yet, but it's getting there. I've toyed with the idea of getting a cage topper for an aquarium since it will only be for a few weeks, but I know it's not good for ratties.

Does anyone know of any metal/steel bottom cages WITHOUT wire ladders/shelves? I can't find one, and this is getting out of hand. He is giving me so many problems. He beats up on my older rat (who I had first) and he chews an obscene amount (my older rat isn't even interested in chew toys because he only chews as much as he sees necessary). He also bit me last week. I am at my wit's end with him.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If you can't find one without wire shelves and ramps, just cover them with laminate or linoleum, or even fleece blankets clipped to the cage. Good luck with them.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
If your young boy is being neutered for bullying the other boy and also for biting you, then it might take a bit more than a few days for his hormones to die down and to re-intro.

Does he bully your older boy all the time, or just sometimes then sleeps with him the rest?

I have cage chewers as well, and the only way to truly stop them is a metal bottom cage OR a nice thick plastic pan, with a cage that sits inside the pan like a Martin's cage. You can leave the ramps and ladders in for a newly neutered boy. Some barely show the effects of it, others take a day or 2 to be more themselves, but he will still need his levels, and hammocks, etc.

Just make sure they send you home with pain meds, and they use stitches or glue on his incision (NO staples)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts