Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

We are about to give little Hector the Rat his first bath.. see how he likes it.

I will take pictures and a video and post them...

Wish Hector luck!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK.. herre are the video's of Hector's first experience with water. We did not end up bathing him.. but I think next time we will bathe him cause he did pretty good. So here are the links.... enjoy!!!

This video is Hector in the tub.. when he first got in he was a bit nervous and pooped like 7 times.. but seemed to calm down after a few miutes.. So watch and let us know what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvVuJ90h95M

This is getting towel dried by mommy..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tojUW0-vPZ4

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Hi Jimmie,
I haven't seen the video yet, but I wanted to ask, was there a reason you needed to give Hector a bath? I just ask because rats clean and groom themselves daily and they don't really need to get baths, unless they have gotten into something stinky or some specific situation. Just wondering!
Sometimes people just use one of those non-scented baby wipes to wipe down their rat. Most rats are not too fond of water.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Actually, Hector looks like he did a pretty good job in there for his first time! I do agree with Vlad--generally, you don't need to bathe your rat unless he is really dirty (and you probably shouldn't bathe him too often, because it actually dries out their skin, which then makes them overproduce their nasty oils!).

BUT, it is definitely a good idea to get him used to water, and the way you did it was pretty good. If you look at some of my videos on youtube, you can see a general progression that I did with my boys in order to get them used to water. We do "pea fishing", where I put a bunch of frozen peas in water and they have to grab them out. I started off with a plate of VERY shallow water, and they gradually got into deeper and deeper pans and tubs until they were half-submerged, and they had no problem going in by themselves. This is a great method to get them used to water, and it will come in handy when you actually need to bathe them later on.

Here is when they were babies and on about week 2 of pea fishing training

Here is when they were more used to it, and had their big tub

Generally speaking, though, you probably won't need to bathe him until he is quite a bit older and is less able to wash himself. (That's what I'm having to do with my boys now, because they are very old, so they do get baths a bit more frequently.) :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys.. Thanks for the replis.. and we actually dident really give hime a bath... but we wanted more to get him used to water. He really didnt need a bath. he cleans himself good. But like you said down the road maybe he will and we want him accustome to water. I think he did real good.. we a little nerouse at first.. but at the end.. which was only like 4 or 5 minutes at most.. he was wading thu the water and csitting in the water grooming himself.

And Breyer.. i saw the pea fishing... so cute.. loved it!! :)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Aww, Jimmie, my husband and I just watched the video of Hector getting his first experience around water and he looked like he was being such a good sport! I loved how he just relaxed and started grooming and scrubbing himself. And how gentle Tonya was with drying him off and the gentle tone of voice you both have with him! I can see very clearly in all your videos that Hector is very much in love with both of you. My husband kept saying, "Aww, they are sooo good with him! What great ratty parents they are!". Super! Hector is a lucky boy. :)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
P.S. It looked to us like Hector was really enjoying his towel rub down with Tonya. I could picture him saying, "Oooh, Mom, that feels nice!" :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts