Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.
I just got on this a day or two ago, and I love it! I have learned so much already! =)
so....
My name is Nikki, I live in Anchorage Alaska, which sucks because of all the pet laws =(

But I have 2 chinchillas, Marlo and Kassy. Marlo is a black velvet, and Kassy is a ****-beige(?) I got them both from pet stores. They were both older when i got them, Marlos previous owners didnt want him and returned him, so I took him. Im not positive about Kassy, she was in the pet store for at least 4 months, and was EXTREMELY UNsocial. She would FREAK out when someone would even touch the glass. I begged my parents to let me get her, i thought she was absolutely beautiful, with her ripped and freckled ears, she had character. So after getting Marlo neutered I brought her home. That was back in 2004. She is just now getting to the point where she comes up wanting to be pet. And a month ago she let me pet her, actually scratching her under her chin, OUTSIDE the cage! Usually she would be too skittish. I took her to the vet recently to get a checkup, and I had noticed when I would change the cage or room around the would run into things, the vet found that she had trauma to the eye and had a rip in it. She is half blind in her right eye, you can see it in some pictures being her eyes are red in pictures. So that could explain the skittishness. But all in all, they are both happy and healthy chins now.

I also have a Betta who I named Evil Fish because every time I move he puffs out and displays. He doesnt eat flakes but will eat bloodworms and tubifex worms anyday! =)

And TODAY I got a new hamster. Female Syrian named Haylee. She is amazingly sweet and nice, doesnt bite at ALL since ive had her, even though shes from petco. She even comes to the door and lets me hold her already... =)!!! Im not sure what her coloring is called though, so I will try and figure out how to post a picture! Maybe someone can tell me.

I also work at the Alaska Zoo. I was a keeper there this summer working with almost all the animals, including, polar, brown, and black bears, birds-eagles, hawks, owls, ravens, crains, crows, Camels, Alpacas, Dall Sheep, Sitka Black tailed deer, Reindeer, Moose, Porcupines, Wolverines, Lynx, River otters, Wolf pups, tigers, snowleopards, turtles, degus, millipedes, and a ball python. =) It was the best summer of my life. I now volunteer at the zoo being I am back in college. So I take care of the reptiles and feed the snake every week. I am also the porcupine handler and trainer. I also train the alpaca yertle and the petting zoo goats. Two summers ago I also raised two caribou calves and a moose calf. They were all sent to washington, and the female moose died there from an injury =(
I definitely want to be a zookeeper when i grow up. =)

I am currently attending the University of Alaska Anchorage going for a biology major. Zoology/Biology is what i want to go for, and I plan on changing schools in a few years. My dream is to go to moorpark college in CA. I am in a sorority Alpha Sigma Alpha, it is definitely the best thing i could have done while in college. I have made so many new friends and study buddys!! (This is not like usual sororities down in the lower 48, no initiations allowed!! haha)

wow.. that.. was long. haha. i dont blame you if you skip over it! =)

so thats me!

heres my pets! lets hope the pictures work!

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Welcome to PT Nikki!:D Your animals are adorable! I believe Kassy is a Hetero Beige:) I have 2 chinchillas myself, and Kassy looks just like my Daisy! :)

I hope you enjoy it here!

Cassi:)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey Nikki! welocme to the forum! your hamster and chinchillas are cute.:) :) :D C YA around
:party4: :welcome5:

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Hi and welcome! This is the best forum on the web...I must warn you,it gets addicting! :D

Your animals are cute and sounds like you have a good time at the zoo.I would love to work with all different animals like that.

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
Welcome CUTE animals!

·
Registered
123 Posts
well hi from new york!

·
Paw Talk's prodicle son .
2,405 Posts
A dont let me startle you im just doing the usual thing here.

= ^ _ ^ =

You have a few pets there I am sure there are many peeps here that can give advice if you are inneed.

Welcome to paw Talk Nikki

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Welcome to PT!!! :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi Nikki and welcome to pt.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Welcome Nikki. Glad to have you with us. I was wonder if you would share with us what sucks about the pet laws in Alaska? I know nothing about them.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Im not sure on all of them. But I know we arent allowed to legally own rats here. And that is the pet I REALLY REALLY want to own! =)

Also, there is a reptile rescue lady that told me about this law that they are going to try to pass making it illegal to own any large reptile, such as iguanas, large boas, and some of the more exotic species. (Degus are also illegal here, we have 8 living at the zoo because they were confiscated) They are making the reptile law because too many reptiles get abandoned by their owners, we (the zoo) found two turtles (who need warmth to survive) on the side of the road, in winter! They barely survived.
So, This law is understandable, but its sad that people cant take good enough care of their animals that there is now a law trying to be passed because of it.

Rats are illegal because we are a port city I think. Im not sure if they are illegal in cities like fairbanks, which is in the middle of the state. Anyways, it just sucks cause I hear rats make wonderful pets. But I have my chinnies, fish and hamster.. and all the animals at the zoo! so im good for the moment! haha

----Edit----

Just did some quick research, I guess we can have white rats, but NO colored rats. But, they do not sell them here, so it is hard to find them. why would they allow white rats as pets, but not colored, wouldnt they do the same damage if they got loose as a colored one would?? (i know they use them for science, but why allow only white as pets?) -nice to know though =)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
nik8806 said:
Just did some quick research, I guess we can have white rats, but NO colored rats. But, they do not sell them here, so it is hard to find them. why would they allow white rats as pets, but not colored, wouldnt they do the same damage if they got loose as a colored one would?? (i know they use them for science, but why allow only white as pets?) -nice to know though =)
Thats stupid,because ALL color rats are the same.White are the same as black,black are the same as blue,blue are the same as himalayan...jeez,they are just different colors.They all make wonderful pets!

I know a girl in Juneau,Alaska and she has 3 rats...a himalayan,a mink (I think) dumbo and a black hooded.I have no clue where she got them,but she did mention there is a pet store out there.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmm.. thats wierd cause juneau is a port city also. and it is stupid, i agree Completely! I know of a few people who have rats, i know a pet store in the valley had rats at one point, but they got found out and they were taken away. Oh well, one day when I finally get out of alaska I will get my own rats! =) It will be wonderful! haha

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
nik8806 said:
hmm.. thats wierd cause juneau is a port city also. and it is stupid, i agree Completely! I know of a few people who have rats, i know a pet store in the valley had rats at one point, but they got found out and they were taken away. Oh well, one day when I finally get out of alaska I will get my own rats! =) It will be wonderful! haha
Interesting...I should ask her about it and ask her if she knows it is illegal! It is also illiegal in Alberta to have rats,thats why I am never going there...if I can't take my rats somewhere,then I don't go! :D

Hopefully someday you will get to have rats,because they make such wonderful and friendly pets!

·
Registered
203 Posts
From what I understand about Alaska is that the North Pole is up the road from you people.
It is 22H05 in Cape Town, South Africa and the temperature is 24 degrees Censers.

Thanks for the invite but I have never seen snow in real life so may expire if the sun is replaced by frost for any length of time.

:sick:

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
i have a friend whom works at an airport in Norman Wells, Northwest Territories, whould you ever go through there :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts