Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Juat thought i would say hello really. I live in crewe atm for uni and I have two male degu's which are still settling in (only 2 days ago i got them), i am glad i got the more timd pair haha.:D

I was jsut wondering your opinion on shallow cardboard sides on the outside of the cage to deflect thier substrate back into the cage. As i am sure you are aware they LOVE to kick stuff.

Also they were fine in the shop but have started fighting now, is this because it is a new enviroment? and they are setting up thier hierarchy again?

And does anyone have a link to some hammock plans? Currently they have nothing on the top of thier cage.

Sorry to ask all these questions i just want the best for my two little fella's Deigo and rodrico.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Welcome to Paw-Talk!

The cardboard would probably help but it'll need to be replaced often because they'll chew it :lol:.

Yup, they're probably just fighting because of the sudden environment change. As long as they're not drawing blood, it should be ok. How large is their cage?

As for the hammocks, I'm not much help there, sorry! I bought mine (although right now I have a really destructive degu who destroys hammocks and beds so she doesn't have one, haha).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The carboard 'Tray i have made is sitting nicely on the inside and works wonders. They fight less often now, usually just about food, or who the first is to get out of thier cage. The cage is the thickets house one from pets at home, i would post the link but as i'm new here it wont let me post links.

Approximate Dimensions (Product):

60 x 92 x 47cm.

Just put a wheel in and one of them loves it but the other doesn't go near it. I just think diego hates exercise and LOVES eating.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have two males also who fight over the food so i ended up getting two bowls and two water bottles. just thought that might help you on the food fighting problem :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a hammock that is for chinchilla which you can buy in most pet shops, it has metal clips on to which you can clip to the top of your cage my 3 degus love it, but they will chew it though so be prepared to replace it :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello! Is there a market pet shop or any other smaller pet shops near you? I get my hammocks and beds from two pet shops near Leeds market and they're usually quite cheap. Pets at home hammocks can be very pricey!! If not there are a few online stores which stock them cheaply. I get a lot of my degu stuff from www . equinecaninefeline . com (no spaces) and they usually do good sale deals and they always send a 10% off next purchase card with orders!

If none of this is suitable for you, I'd go with Bandit and say make one out of some cheap material and maybe add fleece? Hammocks lined with fleece generally last a little longer. But be prepared to be replacing the hammocks fairly often, especially if they aren't lined and have plastic clips. mine go through one every 3-4 weeks! I'd say just try and avoid plastic clips altogether as they'll just chew them off.

Hope this helps!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts