Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after talking it through with my bf we have decided once my pets start passing we will not be getting any more rodents or fish. ( other than maybe the betta. )

So a few years down the road we want a dog. ( we will have 2 cats and a dog lol major downsizing) No harm researching now.

My thing is what breeds should I be looking at? any size will do though small is preferable since my Bf has never had a dog before and I want something that can be in my lap

I am one of those people who spends every moment with their dog and will train them.

Also I plan to rescue an older dog of the breed or a mix mutts are my favorite :D

So here is what I WANT in a dog
- loveable - I want a total lover
- eager to please
- lets you know when something is wrong
- laid back
- likes to play but will also cuddle with you
- One that likes to be with you

DONT want
- Yippy
- mood swings

I know there is more to both.

PS ... From the research I have personally done I would think a boston would be a good match. Anyone have experience with them?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
its not so much about the breed but about the dog themselves they all have diffrent personalities as suggested above id go to a shelter, and meet the dogs when the time comes for you to adopt one.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know but certain breeds have general personalities of course I will not go get one without being sure. I have also considered fostering until i find my perfect dog

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
That fits too many breeds and mixes to narrow things down. Do you have any other needs? Are you maybe planning to do any activities or sports with the dog? How much exercise can you provide (are you an outdoorsy type?)? Do you want a good watch dog? How much grooming are you willing to do? Is shedding a problem?

Is there a certain "look" that you like? For example, I'm naturally drawn towards spaniels :).

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am outdoorsy however I want a dog that will love hiking with me but be ok on days we cant. More willing and happy to be very active but not NEEDING it.

Right now the less grooming is better and as long as they dont shed like when horses lose their winter coat all year round any shedding is fine.

Not planning any sports but I would like a dog who would enjoy a game of fetch. Oh and swimming I have always wanted a dog that will swim with me

I personally Love huskies, Germans, and Bernies ... Berns are my FAVORITE.

Guard dog ... I want my dog to let me know when somethings wrong but just a few barks to get my attention not an all out protector.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
huskies need a lot of of attention and to be out a lot and running around to burn off energy.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I meant the look of huskies :) That was the part that was the reply to what looks i like ...

I do not like Dobermans and those cropped ears :( I HATE ears like that.

BTW VERY important it HAS to be good with kids and infants.

and as for weight preference 10-20 lbs for now. Otherwise I would be looking for another corgi shelti ... I loved that dog SOO much :D

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Hmm, the dogs you like the look of are more active then you'd want. Have you looked into any of the smaller spaniels? They're active but OK if there are days you can't exercise them as much, they'll alarm bark, some swim (Cockers, for example), etc. They do require grooming but don't shed much (or at least ours don't).

Other ideas would be a smaller Shetland Sheepdog (heavy shedder, though, probably won't swim), Toy/Miniature Poodle (these guys fit all of your needs besides low grooming...I suppose you could always just go to a groomer), Papillon (might be too active), Miniature Dachshund (active but OK with occasional days where they just get a walk...probably won't swim), and Alaskan Klee Kai (an active breed but they look like small Huskies!).

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yeah sorry NO poodles.

everything I have read bostons dont need a ton of exercise and someday I do want a very active breed its just most likely we will be getting it while we are in an apartment and not having a yard with an active dog is not fair. I dont like " girly " dogs I like MASSIVE dogs my favorite pet we ever had was our rott.

Spaniels are crazy in general as are most terriers so those are breeds I am avoiding.

I dont want a dog that lays around all the time thats kinda boring I do want it to be playful but when the playing is done I want it to lay at your side and ust be happy cuddling.

Thinking back I have never had a small dog I truly liked ... I mean my sisters shi poo is adorable and extremely smart but when he starts barking and wont stop I have to leave. I have only ever had bigger dogs, German shepherds , blood hounds, rottweilers , etc.

Are their little dogs that have the personality of a big dog? I can do 3-4 walks a day and a few games of fetch most days. Heck I need the motivation to exercise. To get a good breed I will do what I have to but I dont want a dog that will go crazy in an apartment until we can get a house.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Hm, that depends on the dog. Hounds are prone to baying but make great family pets, are small-medium, and love walks but love laying around too. (there's a beagle rescue here and most come from life of outdoors with little human contact other than to go hunting, and they don't know house rules at first but are quick to learn. Beagles are like in the top 10 favorite breeds in USA :)

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
beagles are very good dogsd but so stubborn i am seriously considering a boston beagle mix

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure. I kind of want to foster until I find the perfect foster dog and just adopt it. I could help dogs AND myself until I find one that fits the family.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
schnauzers are active and lovey and low shed and like fetch and all that stuff.

Beagles do bark quite often they aren't super quiet dogs. If that is what your looking for.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
You can train them. The rescue here gets some loud baying hounds but some are remarkably quiet. Some are trained. I wouldn't mar the breed as a whole for being loud. More toy breeds bark more and are triggered more often than are beagles :D

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
If you just want a mix from a rescue then yeah, I'd just foster to adopt. So basically, there's no point in us making breed suggestions :lol:. You seem like you want a Boston or a big dog ;).

Also, how are spaniels and terriers "crazy"? :lol: Not that I recommended a terrier but there are a ton of breeds...

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
terriers seem to have mood swings

But I dont actually want the LOOK of a boston I want that personality ... Thats what I came here for help with are their any breeds with that personality but without the breathing problems and constant chewing. I love everything about bostons from what I have read except the look.

And yeah I am a total fan of big dogs but I know it will be a LONG time until I can afford one esp at $35 for one bag of food lol

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
terriers seem to have mood swings

But I dont actually want the LOOK of a boston I want that personality ... Thats what I came here for help with are their any breeds with that personality but without the breathing problems and constant chewing. I love everything about bostons from what I have read except the look.

And yeah I am a total fan of big dogs but I know it will be a LONG time until I can afford one esp at $35 for one bag of food lol
It really sounds like your best bet is an adult mixed breed, not a specific breed of dog. The only dogs that really fit what you want (swimming included) are breeds of spaniel and poodle, which you don't like. What about medium-sized breeds? They're a bit more affordable and closer to what you'd want.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Apartments wont allow bigger than 20 lbs :(

1 - 20 of 48 Posts