Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i got three degus from a breeder who was downsizing -big mistake after only one week the first one had a litter (now 9-10weeks old) 4 degu pups were born then wam 2 nights ago her sister had 7 babys I can't sale or give away the pups im not sure what to do here the older pups are tame due to me handling them ive advertised on craigslist started at $15 each or 2 for $20 then went to $10 each i was hesitant to say free since they might be used as snake food but i've been trying to find them homes since they were 6 weeks old i've called the breeder (the first litter the breeder told me they would help me find homes but when i called again the number was disconnected) I called all the pet shops and they won't take them due pet store policy's, im beside myself now i have 3 adult degus 13 babys and i'm afraid of interbreeding and more baby's no one wants them and i cant give them away i was hoping someone knew of a solution here. The animal shelter won't take them due to them "not having enough cages and limited space"I don't have any more cages and am not rich enough to buy a hole bunch more stuff I spent $300 on the 2 females and cage HELP please im hoping the other one dosent have baby's too i cant see how my cages can hold anymore. also tried vets to see if they could place my degu pups was told they dont deel with exotics and cant help me or even let me put a sign up

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Where are you located?

If you need cheap, temporary cages, look into plastic bins and used aquariums (you could probably find some used aquariums for cheap/free on craigslist, freecycle, or in thrift stores/garage sales).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In westren iowa can't afford cages degus chew threw plastic i know cuse my first one killed a cage that way when she passed i got these the issue is I can't affod 13 babies not the cage issue I dont want 13+ degus

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Well, you'll need more cages anyways to keep males and females apart. That was why I made those suggestions (and I guarantee you they can't chew threw glass aquariums).

I don't know anyone in Iowa, unfortunately :(.

Try vet offices, see if they have any contacts for you. Why can none of the pet stores help? Are degus illegal in your state? If that's the case, it's going to make things really tricky :(.

Are you on Livejournal? There's an active degu community on there called "degus", you could try posting there.

Look up small animal rescues (while you might not find many degu-specific ones, there are plenty of small animal rescues willing to take in degus--try rescues that normally take in rabbits, guinea pigs, rats, etc.). Even if they're not local, try anyway. They might have a contact in your area or transportation options.

Sorry I can't help more, I'm all the way in NY. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the pet shops wont take animals from people they don't have registered as a breeder i've asked to get registered and was told they can't do degus since they don't sale they can't get rid of them.they are not illegal where i live but since there so rare no one knows about them and don't want them im going crazy feeding so many degus ive put adds up everywhere and no luck the vet places won't let me since they dont take care of degus and dont deal with exoctics some stupid policy and i called all local vets. even put an add on several degu forums that i have them free just come get them

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am willing to take one off your hands! i really want one! I live in iowa, and have been looking for a degu for quite some time now! if you want you can just email me at gallardo104 @ msn.com thank you!(there is no spaces but it wouldn't let me post it!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts