Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
6K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  luvnature 
#1 ·
My 2 rats Rocky(mine) and Bo(my sisters) are both dehidrated I think Because I noticed that there water was gone and I couldnt remember when the last time I changed it (not good) So I gave Rocky a pinch on the neck and his skin went down slowly:( I Gave them their water and they didn't DRINK IT!!!!!! I showed them it was full but still they wouldn't touch it! After school I found out BoBo's skin didn't go down right away either but when i did it on his stomache his skin went back right away same with Rocky. I tried to force the water on them by sticking it in their face but they just pulled away. I know they arn't afraid of the water becaese they licked my finger with water on it.
I don't know if I pinched the right part of them they might just be being stubborn and not drinking because they r not thirsty
Rocky is the smaller one and he seems thinner (like as thin as he used to be with a wheel)(which they later desroyed)BoBo seems to be thinner like as thin as Rocky was without the wheel (the wieght problem may just be me paraniod)

[COLOR="darkgreenThings different in thier cage are: A tissue box that I put in 4 them to sleep in and It needs to be cleaned ( which was planned for this weekend[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]I can't really aford a vet trip unless it is really nessasary[/COLOR]I AM REALLY WORRIED PLZ HELP

#2 ·
First of all, I would suggest that your change your rats water at least once a day, if not more. You don't drink stale water, so why should they, ya know. Then also, you will remember when you changed the water.

Second, do you have a syringe or medicine dropper that you could give them water with?

#3 ·
no I don't have a syringe But my Dad said he saw them drinking water so I think they will be Fine but just in case tell me what u all think
about the water thing I give them spring water becuz my tap has minerals in it ( i don't drink it )

which is better? giving them spiring water but not changing it until it is out? or giving them tap water and changing it everyday?I can't aford to get rid of stale spring water (i wish i could)sooo which ever is better I'll do.

#5 ·
First off...those rats are YOUR responsibility and if you cannot remember to change their water EVERY SINGLE DAY,then thats sad and wrong.I am sure when you are thirsty,you go and help yourself to water or something to drink.The rats should have access to water ALL times.Rats drink alot by the way.

However I agree with Bob about the gatorade thing.Many people I know who have had sick rats and needed to keep them hydrated,gave them gatorade,because this appeals to them.

How old are they? Are they getting enough minerals and vitamins in their diet? What are you feeding them? Proper nutrition is very important for rats in order to keep them healthy.

#6 ·
responce to all your great suggestions

I don't have any Gatorade but i tries adding 100 percent fruit juice to their water they still didn't take to it. I think their water bottle may be broken I got a syringe but they don't arn't cooperating.

About the changing water every day I didn't know so lay off and if u care about my rats just tell asnwer my question from b4 about spring water once in a while or tap everyday because I debated with my dad for a long time to let me use spring with the same we don't drink it y should they? thing

plz help more I'm really worried about them I relally hate to ask this question afraid it won't be a good answer but how much water do they need in one day.
my dad says they'll be fine just so I'm not late for school.

they are acting normal! but need water because they won't drink out of the bottle but they try to

nutrition:fort-i diet lab blocks and grain (they eat more grain than lad blocks ) and occational fruit/veggie pieces

please help!!!

#7 ·
sorry about the last post and the lay off I was really sad and angry I guess you wern't trying to have a mean tone but an urgent one.

sorry

#8 ·
You can buy jugs of water at grocery stores for less than a dollar. You should change their water at least once a day, no matter what. You can keep the jugs of water in your fridge.

Im confused though as to why you or your rats can't drink tap water? I have well water where I live, I drink it all the time and so do my pets.

#9 ·
My Rats should be fine. I gave them Gatorade (I bought it a local store that just opened) they are hidrated. The water bottle made them work to hard to get water out. But they tried harder to get the gatorade. BoBo liked his watered down :D rocky liked his plane but he couldn't handle it he bounced off the walls! until i put him back in his cage he just did a couple laps and settled.

:thanks: thanks 4 all your help. I'm buying a new water bottle tonight and they should be fine.
Even thought I worried to death and the rats were ,well, thirsty. i learned to change their water every day and another way to care for a sick rat.

P.S. do I need to unpost this thread? If so how?

#10 ·
ratsr4me2 said:
sorry about the last post and the lay off I was really sad and angry I guess you wern't trying to have a mean tone but an urgent one.

sorry
:mad2: I REALLY did NOT appreciate that tone you used above!I wasn't being rude to you,and I expect the same from you.I wasn't starting anything,just saying what I had to say.

I was just saying that anyone who doesn't provide water for their rats EVERY day is being neglectful.Because it is neglect to not let your animals have access to water at all times.From what I was reading in your original thread,you said that you couldn't remember the last time you changed the water.That looked to me,as if they didn't have water in a few days.

"Because I noticed that there water was gone and I couldnt remember when the last time I changed it (not good)"

If you seen that,you would probably take it the same way I did.

Anyway...could you maybe pick up some gatorade at the store? They do sound dehydrated and maybe if they are not drinking,there may be something going on inside of them.So unless you can get them to drink or get them hydrated soon,they may need vet care.

My rats drink tap water and NEVER had a problem.I drink it,so does my family and my daughter and everyone I know.Then again the water here is really clean.

#11 ·
I don't have rats but my degus drink tap water and have not had any problems. The tap water around here is pretty decent though. Does your city have water problems why they can't drink the water? I don't see why they wouldn't be able to. Tap water every day would be better than spring water some of the time, as long as there isn't something horribly wrong with your water supply. I change my degus' water every morning when I wake up. It has become a ritual for me. Maybe try doing it at the same time every day to make it more routine.

#15 ·
If they're having problms with a water botte, you could also try usung a food dish...the thing that drives me nuts about those though, is that shavings get in them real fast. When I use a food dish, I usually change it twice a day...kind of annoying. I'd buy another water bottle if I were you. Also, I think using just tap water would be fine, minerals or not. OH, and if you're worried abotu them not drinking enough still, you could get them a salt or mineral wheel. They're found at any pet store and most grogery stores. Not only are they healthy for rodents, but they also encourage your pets to drink more (makes them a little thirsty)

#16 ·
bumble_b18 said:
OH, and if you're worried abotu them not drinking enough still, you could get them a salt or mineral wheel. They're found at any pet store and most grogery stores. Not only are they healthy for rodents, but they also encourage your pets to drink more (makes them a little thirsty)
Just to inform you...salt and mineral wheels are not suitable for rats,nor do they need them.Rats get the amount of salt they need in their diet.

#17 ·
Wow, I had no idea. i was under the impression that they were good for all rodents...just goes to show that petstores DON'T know what they're talking about....but now I'm curious...why can't they use them?

#18 ·
bumble_b18 said:
Wow, I had no idea. i was under the impression that they were good for all rodents...just goes to show that petstores DON'T know what they're talking about....but now I'm curious...why can't they use them?
Yeah...when I first got into rats yrs ago,I assumed the same thing.But as I did research,I found out that rats don't need them.They get their sodium and minerals from their diet and don't need the extra salt/minerals.

It is all in this link here...
http://www.ratfanclub.org/diet.html

#20 ·
yep its true..they say to get one for the piggies...nope..not necessary!
They just want more dinero!
And of course a pet would drink more water if it were licking salt ...poor thing. Kind of a cruel way to get pets to drink more. They would need to drink more with the salt
Nope they dont need it!

#22 ·
I m just glad to hear your rats are doing fine and have recovered!

#23 ·
yeah, petstore emplyees don't always know what is best..they may pretend to at times or give their opinion cuz they want to empty your pockets. Of course this is only some employees. Some are very smart and have genuine concern for the aninmals.
Doing research before we get a pet is always a good idea and of course there is always more to learn after. Thats why i'm thankful for forums and websites like this.

Im glad your rats are all better too. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.