Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm teaching morgan to sit and lay down. she knows sit. she'll sit when i ask her to for the most part as long as she's not distracted by other dogs or not too excited.

she getting more familiar with "lay down" too. we're having some trouble staying down.

i'll have her infront of me while i stand, i'll say "lay down" and she'll lay down. i bend down to give her a treat she will stay down and take the treat but then she immedeately pops up to a sitting position to eat the treat.

i tried telling her to lay down, then letting her lay there for a time but after 2-3 seconds if i don't give her a treat she will pop up to a sitting position then i'll have to tell her to lay down 2-3 times then show her how to lay down by placing a treat on the floor infront of her so she has to lay down to get it. basically i have to re-train her what lay down means. i think she's getting confused when i don't give her a treat right away when laying down.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
She is possibly confused when you don't give her the treat. I think you should try to shape her off the expectation. Forget laying down for now, get her to sit and teach her to stay but incorporate a verbal or toy praise rather than a treat everytime. During training have her sit and stay in whatever combination you choose and only give her a treat at intervals. In between the treats tell her what a good girl she is and play with her instead. These things she will learn are just as good as a food reward.

Once she has that concept that treats aren't always going to come she will lay down and stay easier. She needs to learn to take voice commands without seeing a treat. It may get hard or frustrating bt she DOES want to please you as best she can :d This will help her bond to you as well, because you are of ALL great things! (praise, treats, toys etc)

Good luck!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
So will she stay down for 1 second? If so, I would have her do that and then reward. Once she's doing that consistently, try for a little longer (even if that has to be 1 and a half seconds, ha). Keep increasing the time (occasionally mixing it up).

Does she know "Stay"? It might be more clear to her that you want her to stay in a Down if she learns that command first. That way you can simply say "Down, Stay". Since she's great at "Sit" I would work on that but using "Stay".

·
Registered
802 Posts
Amid of those distraction, always get his attention and firm command to stay. This may take time and practice for many times until he is fully submitted to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
One suggestion (or several, actually). Mark the good behavior (laying down) with either a click on a clicker if you are doing clicker training or saying "yes" so that your dog knows that it's done the right thing. As soon as starts to get up before you want, say "uh uh" and don't treat if she goes into a sit. Coax her down again into a down position and treat. Hold your hand in a stay position (arm out; palm facing towards the dog) and use the 'wait' command if you've trained it. With my now 10 month old Tibetan Terrier, Izzy, she understands that she needs to remain in a position when I say and repeat "wait" (repeatedly) until I decide for her to sit up. Then I say "Izzy, Sit!" and lure her into the sit position with a treat. If she's done all that, she gets the treat; of not we either try again or if it's gone on too long, we stop and do it again later in the day. You need to consider the dog's age, attention span, etc. in terms of not over-doing your training and it should always be fun. The wait command can be found by searching google. If you need help with it, feel free to post me. It is the best command I know for getting attention and managing her impulse control. I'm wondering if you dog is confused by not know which command you want. If you want a down-stay command, then you say down-wait (which I use) or down-stay, then repeat stay, stay, stay until you release them. Now I'm confusing myself. Hoping I haven't confused you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts