Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 to 8 month old female half rex rat. My family is looking to adopt her a companion, hopefully a 7 to 8 month Dumbo rat. Could we introduce them with ease? Theone I have is very even tempered, and sweet, but how would she react to a rat of her age of a different breed?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Breeds rarely mean anything to rats as long as its another rat. The best way to introduce them is buy putting them in nuetral territory, like a bathtub or a large plastic tub just something where the established females scent isnt there. You will mostly still get bickering but thats mainly just them trying to establish rank, as long as there isnt any blood that should be fine.

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
A domestic rat is a domestic rat is a domestic rat. It doesn't matter what they look like.

You could try putting their cages beside each other for a few nights so they can get used to each other smell. After about a week or so you can switch the cages and put the one rat in the other rats cage. After that you can try putting them together in the same cage.

Every day you can intro them on neutral ground such as the bathroom or your bed. Even though they are female rats they will still scrap for "alpha". Just remember that as long as there is no blood there is no problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts