Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our mother Degu died today right in front of me and my 7 year old traumatized daughter. Our Degu had recently given birth and we are trying to figure out how to take care of the 7 squeaking 8 day old pups! It is heartbreaking and I don't think my daughter can handle watching the babies slowly die! :(

After hours of searching the internet we are still not sure if we are doing the right thing. We are currently hand feeding the babies EBSILAC puppy milk replacer every two hours. I bought a heat lamp at a pet store to keep them warm and the current temperate is 85 degrees inside the 40 gallon aquarium. They don't seem to be shivering and they can walk to the other side of the aquarium where it is a little cooler if it is too hot.

We have a male Degu that was neutered yesterday and is still in a separate (large) cage. The vet said to keep him away from the mother and babies for a couple of days until he heals a little bit. It is the weekend and we have been unable to contact the vet who did the operation to tell her of the situation. I'm not sure they are very experienced with Degu's anyway.

I read somewhere that we need to stimulate them to urinate but I'm not sure I am using the right technique and they do not seem to be peeing after I rub them with a cotton ball.

:confused: Questions:

How much should the pups be eating at their current age?

Should I put the father in the cage with them?

What are the odds they will live?

Is 85-90 degrees warm enough for them?

How do I clean them and how frequently?

When can they eat solid food and what should I feed them?

I've seen a variety of suggestions regarding feeding pups on the internet but I'm not sure which method is best. I'm wondering if I should put a dish of the puppy formula in their cage but I'm worried they will just walk all over it and create a hygiene problem.

Should I put an oatmeal type dish in the cage now?

They seem very distressed and are constantly squeaking so any quick response would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
awww, im sorry to hear about the mommy i dont know anything any degus unfortunatley but i hope, that someone on here can help u >_< and quick. try contacting ur local vet if no one is able to reply . if they are only 8 days old and are anything like kittens, i dont think they can eat on there own yet. so you may have to feed them with the eye dropper for awhile.

·
she-mayor of Whoville
289 Posts
I really really hope everything turned out okay.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I'm sorry I missed this thread but I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be giving advice anyway (I have a lot of degu experience but have never had to hand-raise babies) :(.

How are you doing? Did you try calling a vet?

·
Registered
37 Posts
hmm... I have two boys.... Have you tried Degutopia.co.uk? They have great guides and theres one on hand rearing lil degus from a few days. I would recommend putting the father back in as both parents naturally care for young. Thats all I know, hoped it helped :'(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts