Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
私は靖巣あな&#
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: OK, my cat took one of my meds!! It is a Serax also know as oxazepam, I did a search and it is said it is used as a treatment to lukemia... she is very groggy and wobbly and the vet will be calling me any minute. ANYONE KNOW IF 50mg is DEADLY?? HELP:confused:

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Do a search in your own country for animal poison control on a search engine and see if you can come up with any numbers. I can give you the numbers for the US, but I don't know how helpful that would be. They're likely the only ones who will have information on possible effects on cats. At a dose that high, I'm sure there are going to be issues if it's anything like diazepam or drugs in that family.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_whattodo

:hug3: Best of luck.

·
私は靖巣あな&#
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I did some resarch and it is used as a treatment for Lukemia to stimulate appitite, which explains whyt she was eating a lot, and GOOD thing it was not a Valium cause if it was she could have died. She is getting back to normal now and not so stumbly! Also someone I know her cat had FL and oxazepam was used with her, and her last dosage was a 50mg b4 she died due to Lukemia. I was SO SCARED!!

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
50mg seems like a really high dose to me, and one that could cause problems. Sites I'm coming across are stating dosages of under 0.5 mg/kg for cats, meaning that could be an overdose of more than ten times the recommended amount or more, depending on the size of the cat.

Contraindications I'm finding are liver or kidney failure, which you may not see signs of for some time.

Did you speak with your vet? At the very least, I'd suggest having some bloodwork done and checking for problems in the very near future.

·
私は靖巣あな&#
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I have heard from the vewt, she has never heard of it being used for cats. But then again she was new. She is almost back to normal now and walking is almost back to normal. She said she would look up more on it and call me back, but right now I am not too worried as she is walking and pretty much okay. BUT I will most likely bring her to the vet for blood work.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
How exactly did she get 50 mg? They don't come in a dosage that high.

I'm not trying to scare you, but you truly may not see signs of kidney/liver failure until it's irreversible. I'd want to talk to an animal poison control center and find out what dosages are toxic, what the treatments are, and what toxic effects it carries. Veterinary care would not be something I'd just consider, I'd be in the car already headed to the office. The sedative effects may be wearing off, but the metabolic effects may not be evident yet.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
This medication IS in fact a form of Valium. Please get your cat to the vet asap.

·
私は靖巣あな&#
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am worried too, but my vet has called me back and she was talking to the Animal Poison control and they tald her it may not be as harmful as it it was not a valium. Which is good!! Cause they said if it was a valium she would have died tonight. I don't have a car nor money to have brought her out tonight and my sister was at work so i was panicking!!

My Dad gets the medication and gave me some as I was supposed to be on the mediaction. I had it and it must have feel on the floor. It said on it 15 so I am thinking it was only a 15mg and my Dad must have gotten it wrong.

My vet told me not to let her nurse with the kittens tonight, not till morning to make sure it is out of her system. I will bring her to the vet as soon as I can to get her checked, I cannot tonight as my sister is in bed and it is 1:30am now. And my vet told me she should be fine but reccommened me to bring her in when I am able to and get blood work. Which I will do.

:) Thanks everyone, She is going to be fine and I PRAY not damage was done!! I will come on to let you all know what happens.

·
私は靖巣あな&#
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She is doing great, she is looking fine. But I will take her when I can to the vet, but everything seems okay now. I hope she has no damage to her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts