Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took in five orphaned kittens i have had them for about twelve hours or so and i have fed them three times with the milk replacer and bottle, i rub the bellies and private parts with a warm wet washcloth but i haven't been able to get the to poop, only pee any one have any ideas to help me out its my first time

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Hello and welcome to Paw Talk. Thank you for rescuing these babies! Oh Boy, you have your work cut out for you! The first thing to do is to take them to the vet. There they can be checked out and you can get some practical instruction on how to stimulate their body functions for success.

Keep trying to stimulate the bottoms, use something very soft, like a cotton ball or baby wash cloth, and use strokes like a mama's cat tongue would do.

Keep us posted on the little babies!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got one of them to go, now i am working on the rest. Anything else i could do besides what i am? I have the warm nest box, the bottle, the formula, and now a flea comb, and dawn. lol just trying to give these little guys a good start

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
I got one of them to go, now i am working on the rest. Anything else i could do besides what i am? I have the warm nest box, the bottle, the formula, and now a flea comb, and dawn. lol just trying to give these little guys a good start
Oh that's terrific! Keep it up! I only have a little knowledge, and no experience, raising orphan infant kittens (my youngest was 4 weeks old), but please do keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
they need to be fed every 2 hours not every 3 some wont poop right away either . every 2 hours till there 3 weeks old and then after that u can start making it every 3-4 hours for feeding. try not to wash them to often as there skin does get irritated . what kind of forumla are you feeding them ? it might be to hard on there stomachs exspecially if its the whiskas milk replacer?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they need to be fed every 2 hours not every 3 some wont poop right away either . every 2 hours till there 3 weeks old and then after that u can start making it every 3-4 hours for feeding. try not to wash them to often as there skin does get irritated . what kind of forumla are you feeding them ? it might be to hard on there stomachs exspecially if its the whiskas milk replacer?
I am using PetAg KMR the powder one, I had originally gotten Hartz i believe and now it seems the kittens are doing a lot better with the kmr, I have two of them pooping about every other feeding or so, I am still working with the other three, I am just really worried about fleas, i know they can be very harmful. I bathed them once with dish liquid which is what a vet said and i am going to try dipping the comb in rubbing alcohol. Not sure what to do about the fleas and i know i cant use any store products because they are too young.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
im not sure using achool is a good idea u might want to bring them to a vet they will have something to deflea them

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im not sure using achool is a good idea u might want to bring them to a vet they will have something to deflea them
Oh, the vet told me to dip the flea comb in rubbing alcohol and then comb through the fur the kill them and pull them out

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Oh, the vet told me to dip the flea comb in rubbing alcohol and then comb through the fur the kill them and pull them out
i suggest getting a second opnion on that one. not sure why but it doesnt sound right.

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
i suggest getting a second opnion on that one. not sure why but it doesnt sound right.
I agree, please don't use alcohol on the kittens.

Get a little jar with the dawn soap and water. Have another with clear water. Comb the kittens with the flea comb and drop the fleas into the soapy water, then dip the comb in the clear water to rinse before combing again. Make sure the kittens are in a very warm spot while doing this.

Please, don't use alcohol on the tiny babies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree, please don't use alcohol on the kittens.

Get a little jar with the dawn soap and water. Have another with clear water. Comb the kittens with the flea comb and drop the fleas into the soapy water, then dip the comb in the clear water to rinse before combing again. Make sure the kittens are in a very warm spot while doing this.

Please, don't use alcohol on the tiny babies.
Gotcha, i will definitely try that, ty for all the help and ideas. This is my first time and the kittens are doing good so far

1 - 12 of 12 Posts