Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about a month ago i noticed one of my girls had a sore on her tail. i monitored it for the next few days and another one popped up above it. i cleaned and bandaged both wounds but the next day there was another one below the bandage. i bandaged that one and there was another one above the bandage, and so on until the entire tail was bandaged. it started to smell so i started her on antibiotics and acidophillus and the infected part of the smell seems to have mostly gone away but she is still chewing at it. yesterday i had a work event that caused me to be gone from 6 am to nearly midnight and by the time i got home she had completely chewed a hole in the middle of the bandage as well as a chunk of the tail so it is once again a new wound and a bloody mess. when i tried to get her out so that i could rebandage it, this chinchilla who normally runs to the cage door to see me as soon as i walk in the room tried to attack me. does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? i separated her from the other chinchilla in her cage so it is undoubtedly self inflicted. also, does anyone have any ideas on what else i can do to help it heal? i called the breeder and all she had to offer for advice was exactly what i had already done.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I would take her to a vet ASAP!!! Infections are def. something a vet needs to look at!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the reason i mentioned the breeder is because she is the one i take them to every time there is a problem. there are no vets in the area that deal with exotics but she has helped me with everything from broken limbs to problem pregnancies so essentially she is my vet and we have already been but the problem is still unresolved.

what i really need is advice on what is causing her to chew the tail and how i can keep her from chewing through the bandages to give it a chance to heal.

·
Registered
642 Posts
There are many things that can cause them to chew - boredom, stress, too much humidity, itchy skin from dust bathing, etc. I don't know what to suggest to do to keep her from chewing the bandage. Maybe try rubbing a lemon or something that tastes bad onto the outside of the bandage. She may not like the taste and won't chew it? Of course, before you rub something on there make sure it is chinchilla-safe.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Okay, so let me get this straight...

You started her on antibiotics without consulting a vet first? Google your area for chinchilla savvy vets, and TRAVEL. She needs a vet and nothing you do or your breeder tells you to do will substitute professional help from a vet that knows what they're doing.

Did you seperate her from her cagemate before or after she started the chewing? If before, this might be caused by stress.

For now, clean the wounds, keep it dry, give her some safe toys to chew on, and keep her distracted from chewing on her tail A.K.A moniter her 24/7 until you can get her to a vet.

Also, don't give acidophilus and antibiotics at the same time. Antibiotics kills bacteria, which is what acidophilus is, wait two hours after you give the medicine for acidophilus so she has a chance to actually keep the GOOD bacteria from the acidophilus in her system.

·
Jird Jostler
810 Posts
Yhe, i agree with ChinnyMom, you need to get her to a vet asap. It may be stress from seperation, is there anyway you could put them together again.?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yhe, i agree with ChinnyMom, you need to get her to a vet asap. It may be stress from seperation, is there anyway you could put them together again.?

It is not a good idea to put them together at this time. I think she honestly needs to heal on her own.

And to get to a VET. :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
she seems to be ok now, it's like she just didn't want the tip of her tail or something. i finished the course of antibiotics and the infection is completely gone. she is back with her friend and is really happy. she chewed the very tip off and then was done with it. strange but at least it all worked out in the end.

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
You should still take her to the vet.
It might be something more serious, and it may come again.
If it smells, it is VERY bad. This means the flesh is starting to die, and this means, you did something wrong when you put bandage on her tail.

When you see a wound on a chinchilla, I think you need to take them to the vet in about 90% of the caces. It's not nesseceary to take a chinchilla to the vet, if it's a small wound, like a small bite taken of the ear, or a small wound on a toe, it's not something you need to do. But if you think the wound is big enough for you to start with bandage, you should see a vet. This goes for all animals, not just chinchillas!

When a wound starts to smell, it's because of gangrene, and this can be lethal to the animal!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fortunately it seems like everything is fine now. it always is so stressful when there is a problem with one of them. for reasons beyond my control i am unable to ever take them to a vet so i have to do the best i can with advice from the breeder (fortunately she's been breeding for 65 years), from my personal experience, and the advice of others.

·
1,530 Posts
I know I sound rude now, but that is just not good enough!
If you for some reason can't provide a vet for your animals, you should not get them in the first place!

What if one of your animals some day is in some sort of accident, and you can't help it, and have to put it down? Can you do this in a humane way?
What if you have a female that is pregnant, and she can't give birth? Then you will just have to let her and the babies die, because you can't perform a caesarian?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that actually is very rude. you have no idea what my situation is. i have a breeder who has been doing it herself for over 65 years and i'm sure over that time she has seen and done it all. i have had chinchillas with broken limbs and she has fixed them for me just fine. she has told me all sorts of stories about things she's done, such as extracting breached babies and putting down chinchillas. i think she's just as good as a licensed vet, did you know that every time a chinchilla has to be put under for surgery it cuts years off their life (assuming they make it at all). using a breeder as a vet is much like practicing holistic medicine, it's a choice some people either choose or are forced to use due to their personal situation.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I agree with Chinchi on this one.

If I were you I would be looking around for some chinchilla savvy vets in your area. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my reason for not going to a vet is not the lack of vet as much as it is a personal situation. i'm not going to get into the whole big thing but the long and short of it is i love my chinchillas, my husband hates them. my husband is the one who makes the money and i should be grateful he buys them their day to day supplies.

·
1,530 Posts
Then you just shouldn't have the chinchillas in the first place!

Where do you have the info about surgery cuts down their life span?
That's the most stupid thing I've heard in a very long time...

I belive you love your chinnies, but this is just not good enough!
These are live animals!
It will NEVER be okay for you not to take them to the vet, when they are in need of a vet.
Would you get a broken leg fixed up by one of your friends, just because you like the person?

I'm sorry, you just make me so mad!

NEVER get an animal if you for some reason can't take your animal to the vet!
It's a live thing you've got, not a toy you know...

And the thing about your breeder knowing just as much as a vet is just plain stupid.
But good luck to you when/if all your chinchillas get very sick, and neither you nor your breeder knows what the heck is wrong with them (not a threat, just something that has just happend to one of the most experienced hobby breeders in DK)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
when i was 12 i had a chinchilla break its leg and my parents took it to the vet. after over $1000 worth of surgery it died as a result of it's heart being weakened from the anesthesia.
over the last 10 years since i have been on my own and using the breeder, i have had 4 chinchillas break legs. i took them all to the breeder and they are all perfectly healed and well now.
you have no right to judge me. this is supposed to be a forum to share helpful information. if you just want to pass judgment on me we would all be better served as a community if you would just keep your fat mouth shut.

·
Jird Jostler
810 Posts
Ok you two, i can see both side of the story here, and i dont totally agree with either. But, this is a furum for pets, do you think people want to log onto here just to see you two shoting and mouthing at eachother.. NO. So both of you shut up, it's realy not nice.

·
1,530 Posts
One of my males tore up one of his front legs, and they had to remove the leg. This was no problem at all, and he lives today.

5 or 10 years ago, it was a bit risc to take small animals to the vet, because there was a very big risc of the dying, but this is not the case any more.

Georgia:
I can see where you are comming from, but this is just not good enough!
And by the way, on this forum, people are told that in these types of situation, you need to consult a vet, because no person other than a vet, can give you a clear answer to what has happend...

And I get SO mad when people don't treat wounds that are beginning to die - I almost lost my foot to this, when I was 3 years old, and I remember SO much about it, because it hurt like ****!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts