Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys my beutiful baby girl brumby has got something going on with her neck.... her head is constanly tilted to the left! besides looking weird she doesnt seem to hae any problems, shes eating and drinking and hasnt lost wait, her neck isnt sore and she still jumps and plays with her sister but her head is dramaticly tilted! and when she trys to jump right shes clumsy and i tried useing bribes to make her tilt it right or upright but she just turns her body.... is this a behavorial thing or should i see a vet? again she doesnt seem to be in pain otherwise the vet would get me in my jammies with brumby at her door! lol but seriously what should i do???

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
She needs antibiotics to clear that inner ear infection. Hopefully your vet will give you steroids as well but some vets won't. She will need a very minimum of antibiotics for 2 weeks, 3 weeks would be better as inner ear infections are hard to get rid of.

How old is Brumby?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shes about six months old maybe a little older and we trying to get her into the vet today so hopefuly well get it fixed also taking advantage of a vet visit to get brumby fully checked out and her sister Rin

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
shes about six months old maybe a little older and we trying to get her into the vet today so hopefuly well get it fixed also taking advantage of a vet visit to get brumby fully checked out and her sister Rin
Her age rules out PT, and most likely stroke. Young rats can get inner ear infection easily and it is treatable. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thought id update we went to the vet but its not an inner ear infection..... she doesnt know what wrong so shes researching (not very confidence inspireing but were a small town its amazeing we even have a vet) we gotta take her back in.... its not broken bones or sprain or muscle tears cause she is in no pain she just looks like dramatic look golfer tilt to her head so im worryed she thinks it might be her right shoulder has grown faster then her left but any other ideas?

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
thought id update we went to the vet but its not an inner ear infection..... she doesnt know what wrong so shes researching (not very confidence inspireing but were a small town its amazeing we even have a vet) we gotta take her back in.... its not broken bones or sprain or muscle tears cause she is in no pain she just looks like dramatic look golfer tilt to her head so im worryed she thinks it might be her right shoulder has grown faster then her left but any other ideas?
Your vet is an idiot. Do they know much about rats? Head tilt is always caused by inner ear infection, stroke or PT. If your vet says they cannot see infection inside of the ear that's because its INNER ear infection and if you can see it its really really bad. Did the vet sniff the ear at all to check?

My vet takes my rats that have head tilt but I thought there was no active infection, and has put a scope in their ear and found infection.

Fred - came to me very sick, dizzy and tilted...he'd been untreated a long time. Got him on abs and he got better and after this never got sick and lived to 32 months of age very happily.

Rhesus - tilty thought it was residual (not an active infection) but my vet looked into his ear and we found this ugly infection

Now this is him now, a handsome not so tilty fellow :)

Finley an old boy who got inner ear infection at my fosters...he was treated and recovered, but the tilt usually remains sometimes lessened depending on how fast you get them on treatment.

Twiggy - an older man when he arrived, an elderly man now, still going strong

Tepeu as a baby...abandoned because the pet store couldn't sell her with head tilt. She was treated and is now 33 months old.

Peku her younger and sicker friend who was dumped with her, didn't make it...she died from hers.

Do you see what I am getting at? I take in rescue rats, and have seen a lot of everything, been through all sorts of surgeries, procedures, illnesses with my rats, etc. I think you need a 2nd opinion on your girl. Inner ear infection is a common thing in rats.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
like lilspaz said, your vet is clearly inexperienced with rats. Please tell your vet to prescribe the meds that lilspaz mentioned, and wait to give the concentration of the meds to lilspaz so she can tell you to administer the right dose. I wouldn't trust your vet to know what dosage to give. It doesn't mean your vet can't take care of animals, but if she isn't familiar with rats, she can't help you. I live in a big town, and basically when you have a rodent or bird, you go to an "Exotic" vet that specializes in not-so-common pets. A Cat and Dog vet will most likely not know how to properly take care of a rat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We went again and saw a different vet and he said one of three things
1. It's infection gave us antibiotics come back in a week
2. It's trauma of some kind like muscle strain plenty of rest relax and maybe time apart from her sister so they can't wrestle
3. A tumor that's making her head heavy on one side
So we give her the meds if it's not gone by then I'll drive two hours to the city and get a exotic vet
Thanks guys specly lilspaz I'll keep you updated

Oh and no there wasn't any ear sniffing exe

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
The antibiotics should do the trick, what did they give you?

Unfortunately she may now keep that tilt since you had to wait for treatment, but tilties can live lovely long "normal" lives :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts