Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We found out today that PetCo is planning a nationwide event that can potentially put a number of animals at risk. The event is the Hamster Ball Derby and Critter Race. This involves racing hamsters, rats, mice, gerbils, chinchillas and guinea pigs in roll around balls. The event is to take place on Saturday, September 8th.

I have several concerns about this event:

First and foremost for rats is the lack of quarantine. Having people bring their animals to an event like this is bound to spread diseases.
Chinchillas and guinea pigs should not be using these balls. Chinchillas are extremely prone to heat stroke and get overheated really quickly in a ball. Heat stroke is a huge killer of chinchillas. Guinea pigs are not physically able to bend in the position necessary to run in a ball and spinal damage is a possibility.

I encourage everyone to lodge a complaint with PetCo about the event through their website. Please be respectful and courteous in your complaint. We will be more effective in having this event pulled if we state the facts and threaten to not shop at PetCo than if we go off the handle like a bunch of crazy zealots.

You can see the event on the PETCO: Pet Supplies, Online Pet Supplies, Pet Products & Pet Accessories. site and here are the fliers from the store.

Just so everyone knows, I copied this from another site.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I think it sounds like fun

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
There is a hamster ball derby here every August.Ours just passed last week and no I didn't attend.I seen it on the news tho and didn't see a problem except for the fact that it took place in daylight and well if someone takes a sick hamster then thats just risky to the others.They ONLY use hamsters at this one tho.

Guinea pigs and chins should not be in those balls and most rats don't even like them! There is gauranteed to be some sort of problem,especially since many rats have RI's and people who do not do proper research or don't know about rats will risk the health of OTHER rats.All in all,it could just be bad.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Our rescue is going to be handing out information at the local Petcos to hopefully prevent injuries to people's pets.

I wrote a letter to Petco and they basically said that guinea pigs are perfectly safe in exercise balls. That's directly contradictory to their OWN care sheets on guinea pigs, which warn about the dangers of injury in exercise balls.

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
I went to one a while back (with out my animals) I see where therre is potential for an outbreak of diseases, but every time you bring your pets to a petstore, or anywhere else you run a risk of giving and recieving diseases. That's why we are suppose to qt. new animals. (And the one here races hamsters gerbils and mice.)

·
Salamander Burgermuffin
2,612 Posts
i always thought these would be great fun, but ive only heard about them, and only for hamsters.. i bet they used to be for hamsters then people complained.. some whiney kid said 'its not fair my piggy wants to race'.. parents made a fuss so they had to put that at the bottem of there sign. not that that makes it ok.. but yeah, they should be hamster only. The sign does day hamsterball derby and Critter run.. so maybe they just let the little piggys race without balls.. altho i dont know how that would work for a chin..

how much health risk is involved if everyone brings there own ball? i would think that would help a great deal.. altho that would be hopping people keep there critters in there own balls and dont let them socialize with other critters too much, which prolly wont happen..
i kinda find it odd that they would do this during the day, since most of the critters sleep all day, they should do it in the evening, say starting at like 5pm.. that way people that have to work could go too.. and the hammies wont be wanting to nap in there balls

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
It doesnt sound to terrible for hammies, but if one has wet tail or some other disease there could be a big problem. I think all hamsters entering should require a recent vet check-up in order to be there and they have to stay in a ball or carrier. But alot of piggies could be injured. :( If they do a pig race, all pigs should have a vet check-up before they come and all males should be fixed in order to prevent unwanted babies incase one piggie escapes into anothers racing lane or something. Also NO BALLS!
Thats just what I think should happen to make it OK. :)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
At the hamster races here,you have to bring your own balls.

I think thats a good idea,having every animal checked by a vet before.However you know many people won't do that! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
you know if you re in the business of selling animals....you d think you would actually care about their health..the hamster event is like any other animal event like when people introduce their dogs to each other..but as far a putting animals in balls and mistreating the ones that are not meant for it..is incredibly irresponsible..and pet stores should educate...not go with an ignorant public that just doesnt know any better

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Well Im NOT going. I dont wanna put Rubys health at risk. (Or the other hammies- she'd probably eat them or something, lol. Vicious little thing... :p)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts