Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
So many people tell stories of their rabbits being so nice to them after a couple of weeks and it's so sad that mine hasn't turned out this way but, I have only had her for 3 days!
Imagine the surprise, shock, anxiety, etc, that you might feel if you were taken from the only home you knew, and placed with someone who was a giant compared to you; you didn't understand their language, their movements, habits and you were placed in brand new surroundings - everything smells new, your food might be different. Anyway, I'm sure you get the point.

Oliver came to me about 3 months ago, and I can tell you with certainty that while I think he likes me, (and the term like is very subjective), he prefers to hang out on his own. He's not certain that I'm not a predator and to convince him of as much will take a long, long time - years is what I'm thinking.

If I could tell anyone anything about getting a bunny it would be that your commitment to them, well, it better be able to withstand being ignored, nibbled on, poor litter box habits and on and one with all the negative stuff. I mean, bunnies are so much work and often it doesn't seem that what you're receiving in return is really worth it... and who knows, to you it might not be. For Oliver, I always just tell him it's a darn good thing that he's cute. Honestly, he doesn't provide me with too much, yet, and he may never, but that's something that I've come to terms with over the last few months. What I can tell you is that for whatever reason when I'm house hunting (I'm preparing to buy a house), he's one of the first things I think about; is there a space for him, would he like this yard, etc. I don't even know why I think about these things so often other than to say that I think he deserves to be happy. I guess that's kind of the way I feel about all my pets, whom I lovingly refer to as my babies.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but I do think you need to be prepared for a long courting with your bunny. In my limited experience, it definitely takes time to win them over.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.