Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( We have had our pet rat a little over a year and we recently noticed a hole in his underbelly. It seemed to have started out as a small "pimple" like bump, but is now a hole that is almost the size of a dime. It doesn't seem to be sore or to bother him. What do I treat it with or clean it with?? There is now, also another "pimple" on his back hip.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Bring him to the vet!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Do you have a local small animal/exotic vet with experience in treating rats? I would highly recommend that you at least call a good local small animal vet and bring your rat in to get looked at.

Also, you said your pet rat. Do you only have the single rat? I asked because rats kept alone as a single pet without another rat for company can become very depressed and lethargic. Rats always need at least one buddy to live with.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
A hole in the belly sounds like a ruptured abscess. Do you notice any puss or fluid draining from it? You definitely need to take him to the vet asap. The bacteria from such a problem could be lethal if not treated with ABs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts