Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Help!

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  ChipNOreo 
#1 ·
I just noticed that Optimus has diahhrea. He was totally fine last night. I started giving him rose hips, shredded wheat and mazuri on Thursday (only a very small amount). Could this be the problem. I'm thinking of taking him to the vet right now. Any ideas?

#2 ·
How bad is it?
If it's just some soft poop, try cutting down on the treats, and just give him his normal pellets and hay :)
Normally this will take care of the problem.

But it could be because you are introducing a lot of new treats at the same time.

You should start out with one new treat, and in small ammounts. When this is okay, you can move on. When you have introduced him to a few different types of treats, the risk of him getting stomace problems when given a new treat or type of food til get smaller :)

We give our chinnies like 10+ different types of treats. Not every day ;) But this also means that they don't get sick when introduced to at new type af treat...

#3 ·
Also, if you aren't already, you'll want to make sure you are slowly switching him to Mazuri. The formula for switching feed is:
Week 1 = 75% old food, 25% new food
Week 2 = 50% old food, 50% new food
Week 3 = 25% old food, 75% new food
Week 4 = 100% new food

For now, you should stop giving pellets and only feed hay and water. Give him some acidophilus and/or completely burnt black toast. My guys love the strawberry flavored chewable acidophilus tablets made by Nature's Bounty. This should help clear up his diarrhea. If it doesn't clear up after a few days, then he needs to go to the vet. Also, make sure he's continuing to eat and drink normally.

#4 ·
I do not agree whit this.
As long as it's mild, you should not stop with the pellets!
All the good stuff is in the pellets, the hay is only used ad a "filler" and to make sure the system works as it shoud...

An only hay diet should only be used when it's really bad!

#5 ·
I just got out of the vet. They were giving him subcutaneous fluid and he collapsed. They took him away and put him on oxygen. He's really weak and they're not sure if he will make it. They have no idea what's wrong with him. He has to stay over night in an oxygen tank. I'm so worried about my baby. I've read that being away from home will kill them because of the stress. I can't lose him.

#10 ·
Thank you guys for the support, I really need it. Words can't express the pain I feel right now. We were about to take him home and they were showing us how to give him fluids and he as soon as she finished, he just went downhill. How does something like this happen. The vet really had no information for me and I felt like I was bothering her because I was calling every hour to check in; I don't think she understood just how much Optimus meant to me. I just can't believe my baby is gone.

#13 ·
The vet only told me that he "went to sleep and never woke up". She didn't know the cause. He got so bad after they pushed the fluid and I feel like that had something to do with it, but who knows. He weighed only 384g, but he ate constantly. I really don't know what happened, I did my very best to love him and take care of him. I thought I'd have him atleast a few years, but two months is just way too short. I'm at a such a loss. Any tips to get through this?

#14 ·
I'm so sorry. I understand how you feel. In february my chinchilla Kassy passed away unexpectedly from a blockage. I had no thoughts that she would have died, but a few hours later, she had.
For me I still had my male chinchilla so I put all my time thoughts and energy into him, although I think I was more sad from Kassys death after the initial shock for him because he was now alone.

You did great caring for Optimus! Dont doubt that ever. He had a excellent loving home with you and care that most chins don't recieve. and I know unexpected things happen but when you have only had them a short time and they are young it makes it more difficult. :(

Are you going to get him cremated? I did that with my chinchilla and hamster, they give you their ashes and their paw prints. Its really sweet, and then they will always be with you :)

Really it's just going to take time. I thought I would never get over Kassy being gone, or Haylee, but I have, for the most part. I still get teary thinking about them, but I know that they arent in pain or sick anymore, and thats what comforts me, and that I gave them a great home for the time that they were alive. If you have other pets maybe give them extra love to keep your mind a little occupied?

I am so sorry though, I know you are hurting, and it hurts me hearing about your little guy :(

#15 ·
Awww, im sorry to hear about Optimus. My first chinchilla got sick and died only 2 months after i got him... kind of the same situation :( He was fine, and then i woke up one day and he wouldnt come to see me and wouldnt move at all :( i took him to the vet and they didnt know what was wrong. They put him on fluids and yeah...he died a few hours later :( i buried him in the woods in my backyard in a nice pretty spot :)

I have since gotten 2 more... they are not like Donut at all, but they all have such varied personalities, they have made their own spot in my life :) Just takes time i guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.