Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mouse Bianca Claire has a tumor on her shoulder. It is about a centimeter in size, palpable and not firmly fixed in place. So far she is not in any discomfort but I would like to prevent that. Anyone who can help pleases give me some ideas. I have tried carrots and green tea extract (natural antioxidants) but they haven't helped please help.:confused:

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
My mouse Bianca Claire has a tumor on her shoulder. It is about a centimeter in size, palpable and not firmly fixed in place. So far she is not in any discomfort but I would like to prevent that. Anyone who can help pleases give me some ideas. I have tried carrots and green tea extract (natural antioxidants) but they haven't helped please help.:confused:
not much you can do at home for tumours...do you have a decent mouse vet?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh....

Not that I can rely on. The best I've done was talked to my dogs vet thanks for helping though

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I have seen a rat live with a tumor for months. It died at bout 2 yrs but her quality of life with the tumor was pitiful. If you cannot rely on a vet for her, for surgery or euthanasia purposes, maybe consider picking up some pain killer/ anti-inflammatory meds which you can safely dose for a mouse. Not that I have done so before, contact another vet via the phone and see what they suggest.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
I have seen a rat live with a tumor for months. It died at bout 2 yrs but her quality of life with the tumor was pitiful. If you cannot rely on a vet for her, for surgery or euthanasia purposes, maybe consider picking up some pain killer/ anti-inflammatory meds which you can safely dose for a mouse. Not that I have done so before, contact another vet via the phone and see what they suggest.
If the tumor on this little mouse girl is on her back, then its likely not mammary and could be malignant. Much more painful and usually much faster growing. I wish you luck :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awww.

Thank you all so much for trying to help. It means a lot to me. I have researched and found that tumors associated with breast cancer in mice are found on the shoulders, back of necks, because that's where the mammary glands are. That's what I've heard

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Here is where the mammary tissue is on mice and rats (diagram is a mouse but it works)...if its on the shoulder side then it could be mammary (benign), if its on top of the shoulder blade could be a more invasive malignancy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks!!!!!

The tumor is in the area of the glands the diagram helped a lot. If you have any more helpful advice please post.:D

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
The tumor is in the area of the glands the diagram helped a lot. If you have any more helpful advice please post.:D
I am newer to mice but have seen it too many times in rats. does the tumour seem loosely attached under the skin? Or does it seem firmly attached to the body?

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Pretty firmly, it is palpable to a degree though
if there's a firm and wide attachment, you have a chance at it growing faster and affecting your girl's health sooner. I just had a 89 gram tumour removed off of a girl that was only affecting her mobility, the tumor was mostly attached by skin, so hadn't a huge blood supply and wasn't stealing the nutrients and resources from her body like a different mammary tumour might have.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
The only thing you can do to help your mouse is to find a decent small animal/exotic vet and get her in as fast as possible. If the tumour is in the area you and Lilspaz were discussing, your mouse is probably in pain, and now that she is leaning over the weight of the tumour, her life is not fun for her right now. Please do some research on a local small animal vet or at least have the local animal vet get you a referral for one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts