Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i joined for my rats, here to learn more. would post pics but gotta hit the 20 post count before I can do that ugh lol

I have 1 hairless, 1 dumbo, and 1 patchwork/rex and 6 babies right now.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Awww,would love to hear more about your ratties!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
aww they sound cute welcome to the forum are they male or female :) are they spayed or neutured? how old are they :) cant wait to see pictures of them

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Are you keeping the males and females together? If they are not neutered or spayed, you will have tons of babies before long. Or are you keeping them separate to avoid pregnancies? Welcome to the forum by the way. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have one male is seperated because he doesnt get along with other males. But my other 2 are not seperated that is why i have babies now lol.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
you should seprate the male from the female, it is not good for her to have back to back pregnancies, also females benefit from spays and neutures help agressive males :)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Yes, if you keep a male and female together they will just be constantly reproducing babies. You have to separate them as soon as possible.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
You don't have to spay/neuter rats.I never did and never had problems and I have had rats for many years now.

But I do believe you should keep males and females separate. If you don't want to,then I do suggest getting the male neutered (it is easier then spaying the female).Back to back pregnancies are no good and if she had babies and the male was in with her,she is most likely pregnant again,as females go into heat again 12-24 hours after giving birth.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
You don't have to spay/neuter rats.I never did and never had problems and I have had rats for many years now.

But I do believe you should keep males and females separate. If you don't want to,then I do suggest getting the male neutered (it is easier then spaying the female).Back to back pregnancies are no good and if she had babies and the male was in with her,she is most likely pregnant again,as females go into heat again 12-24 hours after giving birth.
i love your answer just question isnt it better to spay females because it reduces riskes of tumours or uri, i think i read it somewhere im not sure, i dont own rats can u tell me?

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
i love your answer just question isnt it better to spay females because it reduces riskes of tumours or uri, i think i read it somewhere im not sure, i dont own rats can u tell me?
Well yes,spaying is better to prevent tumors in females. I just meant that a neuter is easier to do (in any animal) then a spay. If you want to get the female spayed instead,go for it (that is for anyone). I don't fix any of my rats,but IF I did I would have the males neutered because it is generally an easier surgery.

Neutering in males can prevent aggression too. I don't have any aggressive rats though and I also rarely have problems with tumors in my females either.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Awww darn I wish I knew that it helps tumors in females as when Star had her lump on her stomach removed i would have told them to do that while in there :(
and Welcome to site I am new here too =)

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Spaying will only help with mammary tumours and pituitary tumours not the malignant masses. But it is very much worth it...my spayed girls generally live a lot longer if their genetics allow it :) My oldest girl was 41 months old when I had her pts.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Spaying will only help with mammary tumours and pituitary tumours not the malignant masses. But it is very much worth it...my spayed girls generally live a lot longer if their genetics allow it :) My oldest girl was 41 months old when I had her pts.

Wow, that is really an amazing age!! I didn't realize that spaying could make so much of a difference. Good to know!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Your kids sounds wonderful!

You should seperate them ASAP or else you will have a lot more (as mentioned above) Gestation period is about 24 days, and pregnant again after 12-24 hours?? Average litter size of about 12.... That's A LOT OF BABIES!! And first litters tend to be less then later litters... So you have 6 right now... you can expect more the next go around...

Spaying and neutering BOTH have their advantages. As mentioned above, Spaying reduces the likelihood of mammory tumors in females and can add some time to their life span. On the other hand, it is normally more expensive considering the surgery is more invasive. Neutering often reduces aggression in males and is a lot cheaper! My vet neuters for $35. But I wouldn't EXPECT a price that low. I have gotton quotes between $30-$250. Just call around! It never hurts to ask!!

What kind of bedding are you using for them? And what kind of bedding are you using for the new borns??? Make sure it doesn't contain any perfumes or too much dust (preferably none). Aspen is great but DO NOT use Pine or cedar! I use liners in my cage and it works really well! I would suggest it to anyone! I can get you some names of people who make liners and other accessories if you just PM me!

What food do you use?? There is a lot to know about food for your little ones and you can learn it all with a little research! I suggest Harlan Teklad Lab Blocks, as anyone who has experience with rats would!

I Hope I answered some of your basic questions! Goodluck with those babies and get those boys and girls SEPERATED!! The babies also need to be seperated at 5 weeks or they too will be pregnant! Momma does not need to become a g-momma!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is not my first rodeo with rats. I know quite a bit about them and this was a planned breeding.
My babies are almost 3 weeks old and doing amazingly. All have homes when it is time. Babies are very spunky. I am keeping one out of this litter and super excited about him. He is precious.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts