Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. my best friend and i were at our tiny mall being retards. we decided to walk to the food court too see with one of your friends were working. when we walk past this stand that has two (2!) gaint tank filled about 2 inches of sand, tiny trees, and hermit carbs! there was only like 10-15 per tank and these were huge!
i knew where the guy had got it from, i saw the website on the internet where you can buy butt loads of hermit carbs and resale them anywhere.
i use to own hermit carbs so i know all about them. but the stand was one of the most random i have come across. the man said some wrong info and i corrected him and he was cool with it. which was the first. i am thinking about getting back into carbs. my dad and i drew out some plans for the cage he could build for them. one in the summer and we can bring in our extar huge tank for in the winter to help keep them warm.
i just had to share. so as any one seen these random stands anywhere else?

· Wacky Chimpnose
6,276 Posts
yah i have started to see them in malls now too. :( i hate that. i bet a lot die cause people like you or me aren't the ones buying them. and they get kept in those horribly small containers.

i grew up at the beach so they were popular there. we had one (Crabby - we were creative, i know) that lived for about 10-11 years. he was big! :D

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
I've never seen those...sounds really awful :(. I love hermit crabs but I've never owned one. Not sure why...I might get a pair in the future.

· Registered
5,283 Posts
When I had a marine tank, we had a few hermit crabs.. Unfortunately one by one they either died or were eaten, my dog face puffer was one of the culprits..

· Registered
389 Posts
Yeah. We have them in the middle of the mall. They advertise as a great pet for kids. I actually looked them up and there is a lot of care involved. Not only that but they sell these small little critter containers. I don't think those are big enough.

It is so unfortunate to see people just trying to sell living things and not caring enough about them to find out what they actually need. Reminds me of the petstore I bought my fishies at, they didn't tell me anything important.

· Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,439 Posts
i know this is an old post, but theres not much in this section of the forum. I've never seen hermit crabs like this, but someone attempted to open a pet store in the mall. I called the humane society because the kitten they were selling were lethargic and they had crusties so bad in their eyes they were crusted shut. When you walked in you could hear the puppies barking in the back. I called the humane society about what I had seen, and they were shut down within a week.... :D

· Registered
139 Posts
They sell them in my mall and all the shells are painted and laured, all you can smell and breath in when you near the cart thing they are sold at is paint fumes.

· Registered
366 Posts
I don't think they should sell them at the mall like that. Most mall stores they hire young people just in it for the pay check, and they will no nothing about hermit crabs.

I had a couple of them a few years ago. The person who sold them to me, made it sound like alls you have to do is keep them in that small containor and feed them and keep there sponge wet. Well being the animal lover that I am, I always research as much as I can about any pet I own. I found out, you can not have them in tempurtures no lower than 70 or 80 degrees. They like to climb. I had to buy an aqurium tank for them, a heater that didn't even work right after awhile.

A friend also scent me an article a few years ago, that it is actually crewl to keep them for pets. Because they live in colonies up to a 100, and they are basically being ripped away from there colony and natural habitat. But I still enjoyed having them for pets, but I don't think I would get any more, because if there heater goes out on you, you basically have to turn up your own heat and that gets expensive.

· Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,439 Posts
Also I think every single hermit crab I've ever had has died. Mainly because they try to change shells and can't find a new one. The one I had had 10 different shells in the cage, all different sizes and the crab didn't like any of them. So he eventually died from not finding a shell.

· Registered
1,990 Posts
not only does the mall here sell hermit crabs,
but dino babies (little salamander looking things with a a fin like tail and looks like they have dread locks)
and even worse, the flea market OUTDOORS sales sugar gliders, hamsters, and RED EAR SLIDER TURTLES (which are illegal to own in kentucky) unless you are a teacher.

· Registered
11 Posts
You know I absolutley love turtles....we have one RES and almost no where sells them here anymore and when you find them they are outrasouly priced. I see all the time on other boards I am a member of, and they are like $5 in the states. (some places) I couldnt believe it!

· Registered
139 Posts
The RES and maps here go for about 35.00-50.00 each. and the stores selling them know crap about them. 1 glood thing is NO ONE sells hatchlings-- they sell adults. which is good because at least they arent buying a turtle they think is little theyre buying a fully grown adult- bad side- they are NASTY!!!

-Tabitha

· Registered
11 Posts
What do you mean by nasty>?
They sell hatchlings here. About $65 to $75 each
they are about a quarter sized. Got mine when it was about the size of 2 quarters now hes about 4.5 inches (shell length)
I love them

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
KaLiKo said:
You know I absolutley love turtles....we have one RES and almost no where sells them here anymore and when you find them they are outrasouly priced. I see all the time on other boards I am a member of, and they are like $5 in the states. (some places) I couldnt believe it!
Wow. That's really cheap. Usually here they are $30-$40, I think. I always wanted a turtle but I don't think I have room.

· Registered
11 Posts
Theres another forum I belong to that is a message board for a turtle supply store and they sell RES Hatchlings for $6.95 and they ship all over US unfortuantly not to Canada:( They send them overnite in the proper packing with the heat ect ect

· Registered
139 Posts
What i mean is. They are never handled. They are at LEAST 1 yr befor ethey are sold, and they are NASTY!!!! They will Bite, then hiss then bite again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.